Wednesday, May 30, 2012

One Reason I'm Unfit...

Lola and I headed out early for a walk. It was actually a spy mission. Our neighbors on the corner got orange tags on their recycling containers. Rick and I are so snoopy that I was ordered to stealthily stroll by and get the scoop. (It's a slow day here, folks, if you must know.)

So I zipped through the shower. (You know I always shower before exercising. Well, other times too since I wouldn't shower much if that was the only time.) Ambled by the refuse bins and glanced over nonchalantly: broken lid warning! That was a disappointment. We were hoping they'd been cited for something since we're pretty sure they are the ones that called Barley's barking into the authorities.

On we went: a whole pod, pack, flock, gaggle of baby quail. They are so tiny and busy. The mom and dad quail were scurrying around herding their children out of Lola's path. Little do they know that she wouldn't hurt them. I don't blame them though. Lola is quite ominous looking if you're a miniscule bird.

We turned the corner where the landscape crew were blowing leaves all over the sidewalk and continued on to our corner. I saw a young, svelte and lean, woman jogging toward us. There for a second I had the motivation to walk further and make some attempt to get fit like the runner with muscles instead of mush.

But Lola began panting and pulling me left toward our street. It was hot--84 degrees at 8:20 a.m. Lola was parched and fatigued. Without a moments hesitation I followed the dog's lead. I wouldn't want to exhaust the dog. That really is much more important than my fitness. Don't you agree?

8 comments:

Holly said...

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to go back to the trash can with a black sharpie and write, "$250 fine".

larainydays said...

I wish you could patrol my neighborhood. I would give you the power to citizens arrest all miscreants

life in red shoes said...

I like Holly's idea :)
I'm still trying to grasp the fact that you shower BEFORE you exersize?

Anonymous said...

You need a shoe with a phone in it so you can call the authorities when you spot something suspicious.

84 already? Yikes....did you know our birdbath has ice in it every morning?

cathycan said...

Totally, I totally agree!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Why are you showering before you exercise?

I'm sorta laughing about your mission to figure out the orange sticker.

That hot already? I took care of a guy in the ER on Sunday that slipped on the ice going down his back stairs!

Amy said...

I would have gone on a mission to check out the orange tags as well. I am snoopy like that.

Lola's health and comfort is much more inportant than your fitness.

Pat MacKenzie said...

Absolutely! No amount of exercise is worth tiring a dog out in the heat.