Monday, May 21, 2012

Ward Family Split

We are LDS and attend church in units called wards. Our ward is considered a family and we are encouraged to love and work with the other members,

Yesterday at church our bishop announced that our ward boundaries were changing. Little did we know that more than half of our "relatives" would not be with us anymore.

So instead of 500 people in our family, we have about 250. Our congregation had more than 250 kids between baby age and five. It was noisy and chaotic but always interesting. I enjoyed seeing the little ones blossom and grow. There will be FAR fewer little ones now. We have the "older" branch of the family tree.

So Rick is furious and I'm sad. I'm not real social, but I did have a handful of people I felt close too. The little bunch is outta here. It's not a happy day in Mudville. I guess there were many tears shed. Some kids have been in this ward all of their lives. Rick wouldn't go to the meeting to find out the boundaries so we got texted the updates from a friend.

I keep telling Rick that church isn't just the people and we will survive. But I woke up at 4:30 feeling very confused and kind of homesick. I'm sure you know by now, I don't like change. This is a big change. It will require all of us to step up and do more. Not what I really enjoy hearing right now.

9 comments:

Holly said...

I have to say, I don't understand this at all. I know nothing about wards and such. When a non-denominational church gets too big, we just build more and then the congregation can stay where they are or choose to go to the new church. Are you saying that they make people leave? It sounds a lot like what happens when the schools get too crowded and they change the boundaries and move people. So Mormons can't choose where to go? Help me here.

RoeH said...

My wonderful ward in the 70's split boundaries. I know this doesn't happen often and usually everybody recovers and the new is the best again. But that 21st ward in Mesa never recovered. It was the best ward I'd ever been in in my life. New people came in hating it and was mad about having to "come across the highway" to those "21st Warders" for evermore until the 21st ward ceased in being a ward in the 90's. It really does make a difference. And it's just too bad it has to happen. I would like to see those people in charge realize what happens but fate is fate and population happens and blahblahblah!

mCat said...

A ward split is SO HARD! Especially when you have history together. Take a week and wallow in sadness and then don your big girl panties and check out the new family!

larainydays said...

Ahhh, a change like that is difficult. A close ward family is a comforting thing. Go ahead and mourn those that you won't get to see as often, but look ahead to new relationships. Someone is going to need you and Rick's friendship and your heart will fill up again. (Go ahead and slap me if I sound too preachy.)

Heather said...

Ward splits are hard for a little while. But when all the dust settles, it will be just fine. A quieter ward sounds wonderful. Enjoy it and embrace the change. You can do it. ;)

life in red shoes said...

You know me, quit going ;)

Just kidding!

Holly, it's complicated. Let's do lunch and discuss it?

Amy said...

I have moved too many times and don't go to church enough to get attached to my wards. Although my last one, which I managed to stay in while living in two different houses, had some wonderful people that I still miss.

TARYTERRE said...

This sounds very sad to me??? does this mean you can't socialize with the old ward members??? Change is very tough. I wish you well.

Pat MacKenzie said...

A lot of people feel the same way you do. When my sister-in-law's ward split last year she boycotted church for two or three weeks. Then the guilt got to her and she went to her new ward and sulked in the back row for awhile before her innate good nature took over. I hope they don't need to double up your callings now. That really sucks.