Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What a World! What a World!

The title, as you probably know, is a quote from the Wicked Witch in The Wizard of Oz when the water is thrown on her at the end and she melts. "I'm melting! I'm melting!"

That is exactly how I feel today. We got a different car about three weeks ago. Mine was crunched and I didn't want to put the $800 from the insurance into an old car. Anyway, I was running around with the temporary tag and decided to get my new registration a little before the expiration day.

The MVD (Motor Vehicle Division) in Surprise is every bit as obnoxious as the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) in Idaho. They hire vicious, surly folks there. (Excuse me if any of you work at such a place but it is true, and you know it.)

So I went in to the packed waiting room, told the lady I needed a new plate and registration, took a number--K719--and waited. I sat there for an hour and no K numbers were called. Finally, K718 was called. I could see light at the end of the tunnel. Fifteen minutes later, "K719 will be helped at window 10!" I cheered and ran up to the desk.

The same lady that had been sitting at the number desk was now my helper. I laid out all the paper work I had and my old license plate. She grabbed the top paper and proceeded to tell me that was the wrong document. Then I handed her the temporary registration from the dealership. She stared at me like I had three eyes.

"The dealership is processing your new registration," she informed me.

"Then why did they give me the old plate and tell me to get my refund?" I stammered.

"I don't know. I don't work there," she snapped.

"Yeah, I figured that out!" I snapped back. "So I didn't need to wait here for over an hour?"

"No, the car dealer should have told you that."

"He didn't!" I collected my materials and muttered my way to the door.

I'm here to tell you that in Idaho when you get a different car, you take the temporary permit to the DMV and they register the car there. I'll probably never buy another car in Arizona, but I assure you that I will know next time that I don't need to go to the MVD to register that sucker! UGH!! Now they tell me...

10 comments:

RoeH said...

Been there - Done that - Experienced that! I have to muster up all the PATIENCE that my body wsn't given and take it with me to DMV place and I still go out mad. Jerks.

Holly said...

How many kids did you see running around in bare feet and only a diaper? I always try to count them to pass the time but I always lose count.

Anonymous said...

When we lived in Boston, going to the DMV was an all-day deal. You might as well just consider that was the only thing you were going to do that day and deal with it. I've found here in Arizona it's sooooo easy and the lines are sooooo much shorter. Guess it's all a matter of perspective. You did make me smile!

life in red shoes said...

Mumblemumblemuble...:(

mCat said...

I literally have to take a xanax before going to the dmv.

Although, i just re-registered our pathfinder and I could do the whole thing from a driveup window - like a bank. that was cool

TARYTERRE said...

"When you get a different car, you take the temporary permit to the DMV and they register the car there." that's the way it's done here too. What's UP with Arizona???

ain't for city gals said...

Might as well drive up to Wickenburg and make a nice day out of it. We have our very own little DMV office...never a wait..super nice people...small town living...no pollution...ok..what else can I promote..Ha! only going to get worse down in the city!

larainydays said...

I like to take my camera to the DMV and take surreptitious shots of my fellow desperate cohorts.

Amy said...

Not a fan of the DMV. Good for you on getting a new vehicle.

Heather said...

This kind of stuff drives me crazy. I cannot imagine waiting that long. That's the good think about living in a town of 2,000. Ha ha.