Monday, June 11, 2012

Our Stint Is Finished!

There really are answers to prayers. Saturday night Rach called from Seattle and said they had rescheduled their flight home and would be arriving Sunday afternoon instead of at midnight. That meant that my beautiful Squish aka Gunman would be able to see his family last night in Kingman and Grandpa Rick and I would be relieved of our duties a day early. Yahoo!

Squish is adorable, but 10 days of even a good thing is still about 5 days too many. I was "'zhausted" as my Rooster would say.

Gunner was a great hit at church yesterday. He played with a loud toy (that I didn't think was loud at home) during sacrament and while the Stake President talked. How endearing! I tried to stop him and he screamed "No!" as loudly as he could.

Then Rick took him into my Valiant 8 class and he proceeded to poop his pants, chuck a toy hitting grandma while she taught the lesson, roll on the ground and show off, and entertain 6 8-year olds in a number of "charming" ways until class was over. Then we went into primary and he ate fruit snacks off the chair seat (most sanitary) and chucked a toy off a metal chair at the boy behind him--over and over. (The kid behind him was 9 or 10 and thought Gunnar was a hoot.)

Finally we made our journey to Kingman with all Gunnar's gear, Hailey the infirm granddog, and Grandpa Rick doing fetch and please duty in the passenger's seat. It was a l-o-n-g trip there.

As the twins bailed out of their car they informed me that THEY wanted to come to Grandma's for a few days RIGHT THEN!!! Roost lost his top front tooth on the trip.

"Are you crazy, cute grandtwins. NO!!! You are not welcome for a few days. Grandma must rest. MUST!"

This morning Rach texted me that the hounds had woken them at 5 a.m. howling and came into the house through the dog door twice. (That's FIVE blue-tick hounds, shudder!) Gunman was awake at 6:30 and his mom has no milk or food in the house to appease him, Blake stole Rooster's tooth fairy money from under his pillow before he awakened, Gunnar put Rach's watch on the counter and it slipped into the sink and went down the drain, and about that time I stopped reading her texts.

I'm taking it very slowly today. I care not that the house gets completely cleaned in one day. It might take me a week. I've earned it. Mission accomplished. I'm NEVER tending any grand children for longer than 4 or 5 days ever again!! I swear!! My knees ached, my head ached, and I'm just spent.

9 comments:

life in red shoes said...

YOU DID IT!!!!!!
And to dear Rach...welcome back :)

larainydays said...

Your Rach has paid dearly for her freedom hasn't she? Guess what, my daughter Rachael and her family are moving back here from Texas. Whoopee, I am so excited.

Mimi said...

HI SWEETIE!!!
I bet your Daughter is SO grateful for the Loving care you provided to GUN MAN!!!!I know how energetic a 2 year old can be...mine is NOT there yet....but at 16 months, he has plenty!!!I am always exhausted by Wed. Night...I babysit 1/2 day on Tuesday and ALL day Wednesday...I do go to their house...for the baby gates and their toys!!!
But I know how grateful my daughter is and truly I would NOT want any one else watching them!!!!
THEY are Well LOVED at your house!!
OK, REST up...clean in a few days...Take your time!!!
Hugs,
jamie

Guess where I am off to tomorrow???Somewhere I have never been!!!SALT LAKE CITY!!!And Park City, Utah...then off to Jackson Hole, Wy....SO excited!!!!

Holly said...

Exhausting! Will be nice to get back to your real life, I'm sure. Enjoy the quiet.

Pat MacKenzie said...

You lived through it and Gunnar probably loves you more than ever. Three days is usually my limit.

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh ... your poor daughter. My, oh my! How does she do it? And I thought my life was hectic with two boys. Glad you made it through. Breathe .........

TARYTERRE said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your EMPTY house. ENJOY those quiet moments. But never let the memories of that grandbaby's visit fade.

cathy cann said...

You deserve a rest! they are so fun and adorable but, take a breath, forget the house and sit and enjoy the quiet! You earned your Brownie points with that favor!

Amy said...

Never say never. Enjoy the calm.