I finished Liane Moriarty's "What Alice Forgot." Finally, a good book this summer. Alice has bumped her head and forgotten the last ten years of her life. In reality, there are things we all would like to forget, but not at the expense of forgetting the good along with the bad.
The premise of the book seems slightly silly, but it is saved from that by the fresh and candid writing of Moriarity. I liked her. I felt as if I were revealing some of my thoughts and feelings at times. (Were we sisters separated at birth?) How could she know exactly how I would react in such a situation.
A time or two I became impatient with the length of the amnesia. Just tell her why she and Nick broke up already! What the heck happened with Gina? But the tempo and plot development were just about perfect.
If we could learn from Alice's situation, it might be the fact that none of us can be perfect. Relax a little but not to the point of irresponsibility. There is probably more than one suitable and satisfying life possible for each person. I appreciated the different viewpoints of Elizabeth (Alice's sister), Frannie (a mother-figure for Alice and Libby who I thought at first was a bit batty), and Alice both during memory lapses and after. It sounds confusing, but it's not. Even I could keep up.
The Australian author addresses some current societal issues without the slightest preaching. There's no swearing or sex scenes. The characters are people I believe I've met before and the style and tempo is pleasing and not teeth-jarringly complex.
You will learn something about yourself that you probably forgot. Alice will help you remember.

7 comments:
Thank goodness, something good to read!
I love your reviews Jo. I'm putting it on my list
sounds good! enjoy many more days like that one!
Awesome! I read and reviewed that too...
I honestly really enjoyed this one. Much more than some of the other books in the past. I really found that I could identify with Alice and hope that I can find a way back to my own "Alice Before."
I have this sitting in my TO BE READ pile. Appreciate the review.
I'm reserving it at the library in 60 seconds or less. :)
This sounds pretty interesting....shall see if the Library can get it for me. I've been looking for something good to read. It's been a bit dry in the literary dept lately.
Merci.
Post a Comment