I try hard not to like Oprah. I mean, she really doesn't need me to like her. She has BILLIONS of dollars and BILLIONS of fans who adore her. She's got it all. So I just figure that her world can go on without me!
But since this is the "farewell season," I've decided to watch again. Dang! That woman can do good stuff for people. Money and power, connections and know how--you just can't dismiss the power of it.
She is sending her whole audience the first show to Australia for eight days with John Travolta as their pilot. They have quite the schedule planned for them that culminates at the Sidney Opera House. Do you know that that's my ultimate dream come true? (minus the John Travolta part)
A lady who lost her limbs to a flesh-eating disease was given a house that will be decorated by Nate Berkus (who has his own show because of Oprah) and Lowe's will retro-fit it for her handicap. A working mom had her three children's student loans paid off and her salary paid for a year. Brides got new Vera Wang dresses. Two pie makers had their pies featured in a froo froo catalogue of fancy food (that I've never heard of.)
My point--which I know is hard to catch from this--is that I'd like to be able to do that nice stuff for people. It would make you feel so good and so generous. I ponder that each of us has it better than some other person. We can volunteer and give and be charitable with our own time and assets. It just looks better when Ms O does it. It has some oomph when she gives!
Maybe I don't have a point. Maybe I'm just feeling especially inadequate today. (Like that doesn't happen every day...) I think I've overdosed on The Girl With...books. I'm into the last one and I've just run out of gas. I don't know if I can forge through the mess that is Lisbeth Salander's life. The girl needs a give away from Oprah or something. Her life is just too grim. She has NO FUN in her life!
And then there's Michael Grimm who just won America's Got Talent. He's on Ellen. He's an emotional story too.I'm glad he's won the million and the gig in Vegas. He's able to help his grandparents who lost everything in Katrina.
The world is a puzzling place. I'm blessed. I'm thankful for all I have. I get morose when I think of those who have so much less. I get morose when I realize the need in the world. Oh great! I just realized that this post doesn't really have a point. But I got some of my musings out.
Have a good weekend. It's still 106-109 degrees here. Where is that cool fall weather?
Friday, September 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(244)
-
▼
September
(18)
- Perhaps Saturday
- Mockingjay
- Saving Where We Can--(can...snort...get it?)
- Loyal NASCAR Fan(s)
- Blaker Bean
- Not My Backside, But...
- Life is Good...
- It's Not Easy Being Green...
- Oh How I Wish
- Room Without a View
- It's Love!
- Oh, Yes...
- Happy Birthday, Mom!
- Idaho Proud
- Another Go At It
- Better Day--Sort Of...
- 9-02-10 Get it?
- Backward Order
-
▼
September
(18)
7 comments:
I know how you feel. In times like that, I try to remember to just do the best I can in my little corner of the world, help everyone else however I can and let "my best" be enough. It's much easier said than done...but I guess that's why we have long lives to figure it out in!
I often what I would do if I were handed (or earned) millions of dollars. I have some great ideas to help people, then I realize I am just above poor. I know there are other ways to give to those less fortunate but when I see what Oprah can and does do, then my little bit doesn't seem like it would be enough.
Oh well...I may not have millions to give but I can give what I can. That is the point isn't it. Be thankful for what you are blessed with and help those where you can.
I guess I didn't see her show, I quit watching her a few years ago, I felt like she was going too much Hollywood and I didn't like how she could make a person so successful just by lending them her name or her vote. I too wish that I had more...I would give give give! Don't feel morose...God know all. :D
I know what you mean. I actually got to go to the Oprah show about 2 weeks ago - we had to sign a confidentiality agreement that said we cannot blog about it (yes! It's killin me!!!). Anyway, she is pretty amazing and dynamic in person but also very very genuine - I liked that about her.
It truly is amazing how much she gives.
I have often daydreamed about what I would do with a million dollars. I'd like to think I could help people, my family, etc...it would be fun.
It would be nice to have that kind of money and power!
You never know...maybe one day ;-)
It would be nice to have that kind of power! Or to benefit from that kind of power... but that's a once in a lifetime type thing. Oh well, guess I'll go on living my life :)
HI!!
i really don't like Oprah any more either, I felt she stepped over the line with the PREZ issue, but won't dare go off about Politics on YOUR PAGE!!OH MY if I dare bring it up on mine--MY MIL--she is Not my real MIL, but married to the FIL now,as the real one passed away, GOD rest her soul and how we want her back, but anywho, she is a LIBERAL fool who LOVES this guy, so I will say no more!!!
but no, I try NOT to watch her show, she has enough Nielsen ratings with out me!!!
hugs,
jamie
Post a Comment