Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Little Bee

Somehow I've picked the most depressing books in history to read lately. I started reading Nancy Turner author of These Is My Words, which I read a while ago and loved. However, it did depress me for days. (It doesn't take much, people.)

So as I started to read one of her other books and a cow and calf were killed by a pack of coyotes and then I could see the main character was in for the long haul in a dismal life, I ditched those. They are good, but I'm not healthy enough.

Then the library was closed for in service, so I went to Barnes and Noble and bought Little Bee. Surely someone has told me about this book, but I couldn't remember what they said. The cover said it's funny and sad with lots of surprises at the end.

I never found one speck of funny. Instead there was murder and mayhem and infidelity and sadness and a cute little Batman/Charlie who was lost in his imagination so he wouldn't crack up completely. There was Little Bee and Sarah and suicide and homicide...

I liked some of the style of wording. The view points were ragged and impossible to blend. There were no well-adjusted humans in the whole book. Not what a borderline-psychotic/depresso/paranoid traumatic needs to read.

I finished, but I'm scarred for life. Why put yourself through that, you might ask? Because I paid $15 for the dang book. Found it at Sam's Club later for $8.95 and was ticked off that I spent so much and, therefore, was determined to finish the morbid tale if it killed me. It almost did.

I sit waiting for the dog groomer, ready to take off to the hair appointment (which they moved up one half hour--yikes!) and am trying my best not to melt into a puddle of nervous goo. Maybe I should find Half Broken Horses. Tell me now if it's the least bit sad, so I don't throw myself off a tall cactus.

8 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Try something in a different genre. THE BRINY CAFE or THE BEACH HUT. Will brighten your mood, for sure.

Liz said...

I personally avoid anything by Jeannette Walls, who did "Half Broke Horses." She's not a bad writer, but her stories are depressing. Case in point: "The Glass Castle." No thank you, ma'am.

I agree, switch genres. I always recommend anything by Shannon Hale - they're YA but so sweet and fun and with awesome heroines - and if you really need a pick-up, try Fannie Flagg. "Standing Under the Rainbow" is magic.

larainydays said...

I loved "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand". It is English and very funny.

Holly said...

Have you read The Outlander Series? My favorites.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Thanks for the warning of not WHAT to read.

I have read the Outlander Series. Big fat books, good history, interesting. Quite enjoyed them.
There were paragraphs I skipped though. Too steamy.

cathycan said...

I loved Half-Broke.. and I liked Glass Castle and even Little Bee, BUT LittleB was a very difficult read and if youre not in the right place, and there may not BE a right place for some people, yeah...pretty brutal. I have Half-Broke and I would LOVE to mail it to you!! Do you want it? i REALLY don't mind . it would be fun!
You take care Jo!

ain't for city gals said...

I loved Half Broke Horses but then again I like Glass Castles and certainly didn't find These are my words depressing. Have you read The Other Boelyn Girl (sp?)..one of my fav.

RoeH said...

I've wondered about Half Broke Horses. Maybe I'll try it. Let me know if there's anything in it that will put be back on meds.