Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Not a Do-Over


On January 1st each I silently vow to be better, thinner, healthier, more positive, more loving... more everything I wasn't the year before. We all know that NEVER happens!

Do you remember those little marking pads we had as kids? They had a sheet of thin plastic over a black squishy pad and you wrote on it with a plastic stylist to make words or pictures. Then when you lifted the sheet it zipped all your etchings off and it was clean again. But if you pressed too hard or used it too much, the flimsy sheet would be marked and pitted with the remnants of whatever you'd committed to it. Eventually it was so dented that it wouldn't stick or make words any more.

That is what I feel like this January 1st. I just can't make my sticky pad leave any lasting imprints. In Idaho I used to wait for spring too and hope that when the sun came out and the tulips bloomed I'd feel refreshed. Here in AZ it's just about the same every day--sunny.

I did eat oranges off our own tree this week. Delicious, juicy, fragrant fruit. I went to "Les Miserables" and loved it. I took down all Christmas decorations, cleaned like a mad woman, and have a ham in the oven for New Year's dinner. But the old hope that 2013 will be any different than 2012, just isn't there. Maybe I was just always deluded when I felt like I had a re-do.

Did you know that the year 2013 is the first time since 1987 since we had a year with four different numbers? Rachel put that on Facebook via some site I can't remember. Any way, I find things like that interesting. Rick didn't seem as enchanted with this finding as I was. He just gave me a blank stare and went back to putting primers in his dang shot gun shells to reload. Sheesh! I sat there saying, "You know like 2010 had two zeroes and 1988 had two 8's, and 1991 has two 1's and two 9's..." He didn't even care!

Maybe I need a HurryCane. Maybe I watch too much TV.

Have a great 2013. Did you know that this is the first time since 1987--? Never mind.

8 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

It took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about. I'm slow on the uptake.
You accomplished much more than me. I took a nap.

Regardless on whether or not you set goals, I'm just glad to turn the calendar.

Have a great New Year

RoeH1592 said...

Yeah - I had to think a minute also. And I like things like that. Do you know we've never had a year since 1961 that we could read the same upside down? I have no idea when the next one will be. Never?? I'd forgotten all about those drawing pads. Where can I get one today. :)

Holly said...

I watch too much tv too and for some reason that darned hurrycane gets me everytime. Old people crack me up. I have yet to see anyone with a hurrycane, I should probably go to Fry's on Bell road on a Wednesday.

larainydays said...

I remember those writing things with the waxy black back page. "Why kids, that is what Ipads were like when I was a kid!"

life in red shoes said...

Rick and Kent are brothers from another mother....and father.
You and I are soul sisters :)

life in red shoes said...

Holly! I'll go with you!!!

Pat MacKenzie said...

I'm just wondering if you made split pea soup with the bone from your New Year's Day ham? I made some with our Christmas Eve ham using a Pinterest recipe and it was soooo delicious. Here's to trying new things in 2013. Do you know that 2013 is the first year since 1987 that has had four....never mind.

Amy said...

I have missed reading your blog. I like intersting little facts like that too. I hope 2013 isn't a re-do of 2012 but I am not very hopeful.

I was in AZ for New Years Eve. Just that little spot where I-15 crosses before heading into Nevada but I thought of you.

I am planning to be at the Vegas NASCAR race. If you are going to be there, we should plan to meet up.