Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Art of Racing the Rain

This morning at 2:30 I couldn't sleep so I finished the book The Art of Racing the Rain by Garth Stein. Enzo, a dog, narrates the story about his life with his master and his master's ill-fated family. The dog is dying from word one, the mom Eve (Eva--I can't remember names) dies 1/3 of the way in, the dad (?Mr. Swift) is accused of raping a 15 year old and loses custody of his daughter Zoe. Yep! It was a real uplifting read--Ha! It ends a little better than it sounds, but...

It did have some good points, but it's not exactly the kind of book I needed to read the day we found out that Rick is jobless and we are looking at a looong January. I just hope something opens up pretty soon. For today we are still cabin mates in this lovely winter weather. I'm glad I have him, however. He's positive and generally optimistic which I never am.

We cut some wood and sorted the brush. Our neighbor took some last night and it still looks like a mess out there. Wood everywhere. We look like a family of beavers who are damming up a stream. (sans stream)

None the less, I did find one quote I liked in the book. "Yes, the race is long--to finish first, first you must finish."

3 comments:

Mark and Kimmi said...

Heck Im all for Robbing a bank! just tell me when and where!!! Just as long as we split the loot 50/50

Heather said...

Do you remember Maxine, the ornery old lady Hallmark character? She is famous for being negative and funny. That is what your posts remind me of. I always get a good laugh even though I am not sure if that is your intentions. What can I say? I appreciate sarcasm and cynicism. And to top it all off, I love the song "crazy" that plays in the background. I am glad you have a good sense of humor. Thanks for updating your blog often. Nobody seems to be updating theirs lately and I get bored- I enjoy reading about other people's lives.

The Cook Clan said...

That is a good quote. Ha, I laughed hard at Mark and Kimmi's post!!!!! Thanks for letting us crash your house last night. Sean suprised me. I thought he would be quiet and shy. Nope, just the opposite.