Monday, September 20, 2010

It's Not Easy Being Green...

in record-breaking heat in the desert. As luck would have it, Arizona is experiencing temps of 109 and 105 when it's typically in the high 90s instead--much cooler by AZ standards.

My visiting teacher told me last week that it was time to "plant your fall garden." So I raced off to The Home Depot and Lowe's and bought greenage--two tomato plants, a pepper, some mums, and marigolds. These seem autumnal enough as I plunked them in the soil. However--pause--no one expected sizzling heat. Now the vegetation is crying out for some respite from this inferno.

I'm telling you, my gardening days are increasingly frustrating here in the valley of the sun. I'd give up, but I love farming and I refuse to stop until they pry my mummified fingers from the hose. I will prevail! I will!

There's another glitch in my workings--gray roots. I had a hair appointment this morn at 9. I was just preparing to venture forth for the dye job when my stylist Facebooked and informed me that some other lady had the audacity to turn her hair orange yesterday and needed my exact color to repair the damage. Therefore, I have no colorant until the beauty supply store opens at 10, AND today won't work after that time. So to-mor-row, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow... Rachel better cooperate and not have that baby until after I get my hair fixed. I don't want to meet the Newb with gray roots for heavens sake.

So here's to a cooling trend of temperatures in the high 90s--much better--aaahhh! Fall in the Furnace State.


8 comments:

Scrappy Girl said...

I would never make it in your state...

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, they postponed your hair apt for someone who turned their hair orange. Um... that person should have had to wait until after 10. That's ridiculous!

Emily of Boston said...

I 100% agree with Nicole. NOT your problem that someone turned carrot-top. That person can walk around with a hat until your appointment is over and done with.

Heather said...

I have never been good at gardening. So kudos to you for beautifying your yard. Good luck with the new grandbaby soon! I can't wait to hear all about it.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

When I moved from the desert to Utah (another high desert)I was so inexperienced at gardening, I pulled all the flowers and transplanted all the weeds! Hang in there - I understand chilies grow really well there!

Mimi said...

HI!
It's me again!!!
I love to garden too, and this HEAT is RIDICULOUS!!I have lived here forever AND I am sick of this heat!!it is indeed a furnace now!!I hope to get some fall flowers planted but will probably wait til this HEAT Wave is gone!!!
I hope the NEW baby gets here soon, are you going to make it for the delivery????
have a great week
hugs,
jamie

Liz said...

I really want to plant some things, but a) I have no idea WHAT to plant, and b) I have a black thumb. Let us know what works, will you?

Herding Cats said...

Your hairstylist facebooked you? That's so 2010.

Blog Archive