Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Life is Good...

for the moment. I'm not delusional enough to believe that this will last more than--oh say--five minutes. It's been my experience (and I'm older than most of you) that when I start thinking or saying that everything is dandy it just all goes to poo in one New York minute.

I don't like to brag. Not because I'm so humble, but because I don't want to get a load of crap dropped on my parade. You may not believe it, but every time we say, "Wow, this job is really satisfying!" or "This has been the best car we've ever owned." it's an invitation for disaster.

In the book The Good Earth, Olan and Wang Lung complain about how ugly their newborn child is, how sad that he's pock marked and unlovable when in reality he is, in their eyes, a beautifully perfect boy. The belief at that time in China was that if you brag, the gods will think you vain and curse you with bad luck and mayhem.

That's exactly how I feel. My hair is dyed and cut, my garden has a watering system to sustain it in this arid land, the high temperature is predicted to be in the 80s today, and we might get a drop of rain. I bought food and prepared meals for the Rickster so he will be sustained if I have to go to Nevada for the birth of the Newbster. All this preparation is DANGEROUS! I expect everything to go south any minute now.

My new whitening toothpaste is making my teeth sensitive and Rick is feeling what he calls "puny." (I think it's because he ate a giant piece of chocolate cake for breakfast.) So maybe the pay-back is starting. If I am not yet besieged, I surely will be soon. Wait for it... Wait for it... It'll come. You can bet on it. I can't even gloat about knowing this would happen or I could be in for even more curses.

10 comments:

Omgirl said...

In India they put a big black mark on babies' cheeks to protect them from the Evil Eye. It's similar to China--if a baby is too cute and people say he's cute all the time, he'll somehow be cursed. So the black mark keeps him humble, I guess.

Omgirl said...

p.s. Enjoy the good times. They come so rarely that I think we're entitled to enjoy them.

Emily of Boston said...

Whitening toothpaste... bah. I used it for about two weeks before I noticed my teeth feeling sensitive. I have nightmares that involve my teeth falling out of my head... so I stopped using it.

And speaking of chocolate cake... I'm having a piece for lunch. B/c I had no illusions about today ever being great, so I jumped straight to crappy and decided to douse my stress and sorrows with junk food. I hope my cake doesn't having me feeling puny like the Rickster.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean by being afraid it'll all go to poo! I feel that way often!

JoJo said...

I was raised with superstitions like that as well. We call it the evil eye. Whenever someone gives you a compliment or something good happens to you, you're supposed to say a Hebrew phrase that translates in English as "without the evil eye."

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

That's soo funny! My Hubby says "puny" all the time too when he's not feeling too good LOL!

I am giving you the good vibes of no disasters for this whole year..POOF!
Well..can't say that I didn't try...

have a great rest pf the week :-)

Amy said...

I know this feeling all too well. It seems when I am comfortable with life, I get his with a tsunami. Enjoy the feeling while it lasts.

Herding Cats said...

Whenever I brag about something or feel really good about it, the next day sucks. I'm learning to keep my mouth shut.

Katie said...

I may have had leftover birthday cake for lunch today. I sometimes find myself waiting for things to fall apart....I'm really trying to stop that.

life in red shoes said...

You sound like the old me, waiting for the other shoe to drop!
I am still not brave enought to brag about a car or appliance, it's a work in progress:)

Blog Archive