Major lightning and thunder storms boomed 'round us last night. Poor Lola has become traumatized by loud noises. She shakes and runs and tries to hide under beds and artificial plants. She's deeply disturbed.
So to keep her calm last night, I held her tightly and sang to her while chaos raged on around us. I serenaded her with every tune I even remotely knew. Ended up singing Christmas carols and church hymns. I'm quite sure Ms Lola didn't appreciate "White Christmas" and "Come, Come Ye Saints" as much as she should have considering the enthusiasm with which I delivered them. After an hour, my vocals were croaking. Then one final clap of thunder sent the pup rampant again. I don't know where she settled for the night. I was exhausted. Vocal solos are not my strong point.
The week ahead is quite busy for me. Today I clean, you know. I've agreed to write a book review on "The Help" for a blog. I must venture off to the libraryto pick up a reserved book, and Rick insists on redeeming our 3 free tacos due to the D-backs scoring 6 or more runs in last nights game. Tomorrow is visiting teaching and helping a young women's activity group tie a quilt. Wednesday is a much-needed hair appointment. Thursday is a regular church meeting in the evening. Friday we go to Culver's for our weekly outing. Can you say, "Social butterfly?" I'm all atwitter at the prospects. I promise to take photos and blog about this fun-filled week. Stay tuned. It'll be a wild ride.
So much tragedy and mayhem over the weekend. Shootings and bombings in Norway, stupid politicians still wrangling over the budget, train crash in China, and Amy Winehouse's passing. It's such a harsh world. I marvel at the collective chaos and suffering humans create for themselves some times.
Go forth and prosper as this new time looms ahead. You just never know what's around the next corner, do you.
Monday, July 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(242)
-
▼
July
(18)
- Show Down at Culver's Corral
- I Need Filters--Or A Muzzle
- French Toast
- Serenading Lola in the Rain
- Don't Ask, Don't Tell...
- Aching!
- Let Me Be Brief
- Umbrella on Roof
- Dream Weaver
- New Day
- Close Call
- Short Note
- Titleless
- Friday Frippery
- I Don't Want to Talk About It...
- Imagine This...
- A Little Scorched and Deflated
- Pool Shots
-
▼
July
(18)
18 comments:
So you finally had rain. That must feel good in spite of Lola's hysterics. Enjoy your busy week.
I couldn't get into that book. I tried three times because my neighbor said it was so good. I'm sure you will do better. My reading experiences venture on the real life stuff that I like best and I don't do novels so well. I have to be totally into them on the very first sentence or I just give up on them. Very few novels are like that. Oprah always said you have to read the first 100 pages before you give up on a book. Oprah lied. I can't last that long. :)
My dog likes it when I sing my high school fight song. You've got a busy week! Have your people call my people sometime and we'll get together.
Oh, I loved "The Help."
I would like to read your review of The Help. I heard about the movie before I knew it was a book first. I'm looking forward to both, and am hoping to read the book before seeing the flick.
Thunderstorms are really scary for the doggies and for me - ha ha!! I hope it makes it a little cooler for you guys in Arizona though!
The Norway shootings are devastating - it seems like such a strange place for something like that to happen.
THANKS for doing such a great write up on the book blog for The Help!! It is awesome and I really appreciate it!!
Still no rain here in Havasu although it's been partly cloudy. That does not mean the temps go down. It's amazing how it can be cloudy most of the day and still reach 102! My husband is in Phoenix working this week and he said there was a big storm there last night for a couple of hours. Sounds like you're going to have a bang-up week. Enjoy!
I loved THE HELP, too.
Poor Lola. We had a Schnauzer who was freaked out by storms and fireworks, but I never sang to her. Just sat in a dark place and held her.
And I couldn't agree more about the happenings in the world...extra hugs all around are truly needed.
Have a good week..I want to read your THE HELP report, please.
((hugs))
I'd love to read your book review! We have a new Culvers aroung the corner, have you tried the cherry pecan frozen custard? I have....twice!
Poor Lola, I'm tired of freaky dogs due to fireworks, the downside to 2 holidays in July.
Perhaps you should try for a record deal?
I would loved to have been a fly on the wall to hear you seranade the doggie!
Sounds like you have a full week. I was suposed to babysit two grandsons today. The parentals changed their minds. I can't tell you how giddy I am about the extra days of freedom.
I look forward to the pictures. It oughta be party!
Jo you had me laughing out loud after I read our comment to my recent post. Actually guffawing if there is still such a word. "I've got nuthin." had me rolling. You are so funny. IF ou ever come to to Atlanta or if I'm up your way, we will have to go junkin as my blog sista! Sea Witch
We didn't get a drop of rain..not a clap of thunder nor a gust of wind! Bummer...when I heard on the news today you all got rain I couldn't believe it. We better get some tongiht or else!..Or else what?lol... I am reading the Help right now...I picked it up and put it down so many times at the library but finally decided to give it a try...my review..ok...so so...not quite done with it yet. You want to read a good book?...I am giving away Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand if I ever find time to write a post...hopefully tonight.
That is so true dear Jo.....you never know what is around the corner. So tell me .......did you have any rain with all that thunder....often during monsoon season we get the dry heaves.. You know, all play, and no action.. LOL LOL
Have read the help....the author did an amazing job.
xo
The other Jo
Hey Jo!
Finally popped over again to read you. Sorry about the headaches. Not good. Read your other posts and had to chuckle at the umbrella toss:) And no, I don't need visuals. I can see you singing to the dog. In the storm. Takes a special one to do that. I'll be hearing to BUHL in Sept. Hopefully I'll have a new computer by then and can post pics...just for you...but then you've already been there:) Take care and stay cool...
Look at all these comments, popular lady! :-)
I loved "The Help." Read it many times. I hope the movie's good. Can we read your review?
And I love picturing you singing to Lola. How sweet! Hope tonight's less traumatic.
One of my bloggy friends has this new velcroed doggy outfit thing (very descriptive, aren't I??) that is supposed to work great for doggies who are afraid of storms and loud noises. She swears by it!
Enjoy your fun week!
The rain must have been nice in the midst of all the heat. I have not read "The Help" but would like to read your review.
Enjoy your week!
Love The Help. Great book.
And somehow the picture of you cradling Lola and crooning to her makes me giggle
Post a Comment