Sunday, November 4, 2012

Food for--well, everything!

I'm stressed!

I know I'm not supposed to worry about things I can't control, but I do sometimes...

And when I am worried or happy or cold or tired: I eat! Food comforts me. I can still smell the warm bread my mother lovingly kneaded and baked. She'd let me eat the "heel" when it was still so fresh that it didn't even cut well. Dripping butter (real butter) down my arm I would relish every bite.


I miss my mom's cooking. I miss the scrumptious soups and hearty casseroles that sustained our lives on the farm in Idaho. There was nothing that couldn't be fixed with the right snack or meal. No wonder I have fought my weight all my life.

Yes, you can exercise, drink water, stay busy cleaning and working, but when you come right  to it, you can't beat the comfort of food. A salad and spring water are refreshing, but they don't wrap their crispy little arms around me and give me hugs. A chocolate chip cookie--now that's an embrace!

I'm drinking detox tea, lemon water, and eating honey crisp apples for lunch. But I'm not getting any love with it. I'm hollow and my stomach rumbles. I want my mom. I want homemade rolls. I want her chicken noodle soup and beef stew and chocolate cake. I miss my mom. I miss a home that no longer exists. I wish my dad were here to tell me a story about when he was a little boy while he ate bread and milk all mooshed together in a bowl. I hated bread and milk then, but I know why Dad ate it. That was the food he was raised with. That was his hug.

6 comments:

Holly said...

My hug was grandma's macaroni and cheese or chicken and dumplings. Obviously, I've had a lot of hugs in my life.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That is so true. I remember my grandmother making the most delicious food and always felt like a hug.

I'm sure a cyber chocolate chip cookie isn't much of a replacement but if I lived next door I'd bring over a plate of cookies and a hug.

larainydays said...

This was so nostalgic and filled with yearning. I know just how you feel

life in red shoes said...

I can still see my grandma kneading the dough and the smell that came as the bread baked :)
Here's a hug for you, covered in cookie dough of course ((()))

Mimi said...

HI!!!
I have missed you..SO GLAD you are back!!!
i have been MIA since our vacation too....just feel so out of it...like not in the right groove.....I have been working the phones for Romney/...calling people in OHIO...looks good...I am confident Tuesday night I will be Partying it up downtown ...I will be there!!!!
hugs,
jamie

Pat MacKenzie said...

Hi Jo. Welcome back. I've been checking here periodically and coming up empty-handed. It's nice to see you haven't changed...much.

I love this food entry. Comfort food. Mum used to make bread too and we'd eat the hot heel (nice to know someone else calls it that) with butter and molasses on it. Just thinking about it makes me homesick.