Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Springy Sprung

Spring seems to have sprung in sunny AZ. We've never lived in the desert for the springing before, so I'm looking forward to a new experience. I've heard the cactus bloom and our trees are budding out.

 I do miss tulips like I had at home. Do tulips work in AZ? I must ask some one. I went out this morning in my pjs and sprayed weeds which are sprouting in profusion from the gravel that we spread all over last summer. Did we plant weeds when we spread gravel?? Seems so.

Then I picked up a green garbage sack full of leaves. I had to rake them with my fingers and pick them up by hand because it's impossible to rake over gravel without getting all the gravel up too. The yard needs some fine-tuning, but it looks better than it did when we got here.

I bought these colorful salad plates at a thrift store yesterday. I thought they would fit in my plate rack but they didn't. The cute little petals keep them from fitting. I like them; I just don't know where to put them now. Any ideas? Above the cabinets is a hard place to display things this small because it is has that top molding and everything put on top of the cabinets must be raised. Right now I'm using jello boxes and ramen noodle pkgs. to raise the items up there. I assume glass block or something would be better, but I haven't gone that sophisticated yet. ;o)

The cloche bell jar and the cake server are a union that I just threw together after seeing similar ones on blogs and magazines. I wanted something to displayed under it. This bird's next is the best I could come up with. I bought this wonderful feather at Hobby Lobby, got it home and ...oh, my...it didn't work. Too big. Can't find a place for the dang feather yet. But it's a great feather for some where some day.

I feel better today than I have in a while. I've restricted my sugar intake drastically and cut back the Diet Cokes to three 12-ounces a day. Now, you might not think three is cutting back, but it is. (Don't even ask how many it was before. )Three is about as few as I do for now. So I am feeling better, but I'm suffering  withdrawal. I want sugar. I want more black death. I could eat everything in the pantry. That's why I hate diets of any kind. As soon as I limit myself, then I think about the forbidden food all of the time.

So I am going to Fry's to buy lettuce in pkgs. with my coupon. Lettuce that I heard on the news was tainted with all kinds of nasty germs. (Another reason why I need to stop watching the news.) I might give up a couple of Diet Deaths, but I will NOT give up my lettuce-in-a-bag. Now they've gone too far.

7 comments:

Amy said...

If you can't plant tulips outside, you may be able to plant them in a cute planter inside. The plates you found are really cute. If I come up with an idea for displaying them I will let you know.

You sound like me. If I tell myself that food is forbidden I instantly crave the stuff. Good luck on cutting back on the Diet Coke. I am still struggling to cut back on my Coke but it is one day at a time. I also love my lettuce in a bag regardless of what they say on the news.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Hugs!! Spring is coming and then we'll ALL feel ever so much better!

Liz said...

1. LOVE the bell jar. I've been looking for a jar/cake plate combo myself - it looks so classy. And I think the nest looks lovely there.

2. I weeded this morning, too, and had the same thought: I wondered if some crazy person snuck in overnight and planted weeds in my rocks!

Happy early spring!

The Cook Clan said...

Oooo la la! I love the birds nest and fun salad plates! I wish it was more springy here. However, I was excited to arrive home from Washington and see that my tulips had popped up. I was very excited cuz I had actually pulled all of my tulips up (I thought I had) to re-plant new fun colors. However, I didn't remember to re-plant them and so glad I still have tons!

Linda said...

I love cloches and birds nests!

I'm not sure about tulips and AZ. I have a feeling it's just too hot there for them.

I've been "dieting" for the last 3 weeks. I'm actually just trying to eat better and to eat more small meals. I've given up my regular pepsi and am limiting my diet drinks. Since I don't like diet drinks, I find I drink less!

The plates are adorable. If you displayed them in plate holders would that make them to high? Let us know what you come up with.

Katie said...

I love your plates....they will sure look fabulous somewhere.
My husband and I both don't like lettuce. Now I have a good excuse....don't want those germs!

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

LOVE the plates. I have a little shelf in my dining room that's needing some orange plates -- they would look great there. :) Are you a crafty person? Maybe you could paint them. OR, put a big pillar candle on them and use it as a candle holder/centerpiece.

Blog Archive