Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It's a Sign!

I realize that guests for 10 days isn't the worst dilemma, but it's wreaking havoc on my world. My eye has started to twitch! It's a sign! When my eye twitches it means: "I've had ENOUGH!!"

My family knows that's the absolute limit. The line. Don't cross it and don't cross the mamma when it's progressed to the eye twitch. When I taught school the eye twitch started during end of term testing, state certifications, any uber-stressful situation. Eye twitching is a serious affliction. It precedes the melt down or implosion.

So the guests persist. They rolled in last evening about 7:30 with six or seven bags from their day-long shopping ordeal. This from a lady who is so ill that she needs testing at Mayo Clinic, but she has the stamina to shop from--wait for it--10 a.m. until after 5 p.m. at a local mall called Arizona Mills. (I have never had the opportunity to frequent this mall since it's on the far side of traffic-ticket hell for me, but visitors from afar can spend the whole damn day there.) The main thing that chaps me is that she's supposed to be ailing, lacks energy, has all kinds of maladies, yet she has energy to shop for 7 or 8 hours straight. Sheesh! I'm healthy as a horse and shopping that long just wears me out.

Then they got out of bed at 8 this morning when their doctor called and said to come in for more tests. Could they be there at 9:15? Well, no, because we live 1 hour from the clinic and they weren't dressed yet. I MIGHT have asked if they needed to be closer to the clinic for these tests. I'm sure he didn't catch the implication that they get the hell out of my house! He just shook his head and said, "No, we can be a little late if we need to be." Sucker missed the whole point. "Get a room, people! Please don't darken my door any more!"

Oh, bother. They don't get it. They have it good here--a pool, free beds, free food, free EVERY THING! Rick keeps telling me that this time will pass quickly. Oh, right! And how much longer can this eye twitch, migraine, shaking, sick stomach thing last, buddy? How much longer until I go Mel-Gibson on these people and start gasping and shouting obsenities?? There's a limit and I think I just crossed it...

7 comments:

life in red shoes said...

Jo, Jo? JO!!!!! Now stop that dammit!
Take 3 deep breaths...I'm talking belly breathing here. Slower, slower, if you don't slow it down you're going to hyperventilate!
Now, relax, don't argue with me! I know you can do it!
Stop, focus, breathe.
Yes, I know, they are sucking your will to live :(
Take a step back from perfect hostess mode, be less accommodating, return to your routine, they'll get the message.
And in the words of my dearly departed Granny, this too shall pass.

But not quickly enough!

Emily of Boston said...

Oh, the eye twitch?? That's SO not good!! I get the eye twitch when things are really bad, too. I'm sorry, my friend. Best of luck getting these leeches out of your house!!

CB said...

In all seriousness I would offer to pay for a few nights at a hotel closer to the clinic.
If they have enough money to do major shopping they can pay for the rest of the nights themselves.
That will not only give them a HUGE hint that they have overstayed their welcome but will help them on their way.
I might even tell them I was not feeling well. Stress is not good.

cathycan said...

OOOh, the twitch. Gosh, I feel for you!
You need to tell them your daughter needs you, it was soo nice to have such a nice long visit, and you hate to do it, but they're gonna have to leave when you do on...whenever.
Some people are just ignorant, they just don't get it... geesh!!!

rae said...

My eye twitches too!

The Cook Clan said...

Oh man, that sounds like quite the situation. Its fun to have guests, but it is different when they become a hinder and don't even mind. Good luck!

Juliana said...

Oh goodness...wow! Sending you some peace and relaxation.