Yesterday at church a discussion ensued about coincidence and whether there is or isn't such a thing. I'm unsure. I'm not sure that everything happens for a reason. Random chaos and cataclysm seems possible to me.
Maybe I lack faith. Maybe I lack imagination. But I believe that some things just happen. If you drive too fast, you increase your chances of getting into an accident or getting a ticket. Sometimes it will happen and occasionally you'll be spared the disaster. I think it's just a mixture of circumstances whether a conclusion occurs or not.
I don't think you're destined to meet a certain person or land a particular job or end up in a certain place. I think there are logical steps that lead to an outcome. When we moved to Arizona I don't think the stars aligned and allowed us to sell our house in Idaho so we could go to AZ and then realigned so that we would find a house we liked in a place we were meant to be. I don't think I believe that...
I believe in prayers being answered but I think that is possible because of physical results. Medicine is made available, viruses weaken, bodies resist because of hygiene or because of immune systems. This becomes a bit foggy here. I realize that miracles happen too. But then I'm left with the question of why some people die when others live. Why some hideous disaster takes the life of innocent children or random bystanders. If all is "meant to be" then why would bad things happen to good people?
What are your thoughts on this subject? Am I just confused and confounded? Do I lack a proper belief system? I have faith but I still conclude that SOME accidents happen. I think it's possible to be in the wrong place at the right time and wham! Your ticket is punched. I don't think all end results are planned before they happen. I am also terribly muddled in my thinking processes occasionally. I just think if you stand on a ledge in a lightening storm with an metal rod in your hand that you're just asking for trouble. Don't put yourself in that position if you don't want to be zapped. That's just stupidity, not coincidence. Or not??
Monday, November 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(244)
-
▼
November
(18)
- Cold? I laugh in the face of this cold.
- Gunnar's Stocking
- I'm in Mourning
- We're Off
- Lightness
- Coincidence??
- That Darned Oprah
- Fragments
- When I Grow Up
- Three Questions
- What Kind of Woman Am I?
- Grand Twins Stay Busy
- Gunnar is Blessed
- Time
- Put Me In, Coach
- Joy to the World
- I Voted! You're Next!
- Orange Duck & November 1
-
▼
November
(18)
8 comments:
Hey it's Monday...we aren't supposed to think this deeply this early in the week.
I definitely think some things happen for a reason but there are accidents unfortunately. If I'm late or change my mind I think its because I'm supposed to be there at a certain time. =)
I believe in Agency. We all have choices in our life - I mean every little thing is a choice and depending on our choices we either reap the blessings or the consequences.
So if we choose to stand in the middle of the freeway we are probably going to get hit and probably killed by a vehicle - the consequence.
It doesn't mean it will happen for sure but their is definately a higher risk.
If we drive the speed limit we probably have less chance of getting in an accident (the blessing) than someone speeding out of control. However, we cannot control others actions so sometimes people might get hurt by a speeding drunk driver, etc...
So I believe in Agency and the way we behave and the way others behave most often determine the outcome.
I do also believe in miracles - I think they happen more often than we think- some are just way more obvious than others!
You know, I have had VERY similar thoughts..and questions. And I think that's good..like , I really don;t like it when someone says "There but for the grace of God, go I"..I always think "why didn't God grace the other person, too?"
I don't know..it just seems to be soooooo unfair and unjust sooo many times. And why do some deserve miracles? And some, seemingly very good people or vary young, not get them?? See? I'm just as confused as you...so I am of no help at all ;-(
Wow, that's a GOOD question. I've heard it explained so many ways, so that just goes to show you, no one knows.
I have more questions every year. I fear my former tearful, spiritual feelings of the past have gone the way of menopause. I'm more "logical", (not necessarily a good thing).
I don't believe that every bad thing that happens is a test, just as I don't believe every good thing is a reward.I think we live in a natural world and things happen, to good people and bad. God is there to love us and comfort us and yes, many trials we bring upon ourselves.
I love stories of synchronicity but get a headache when I think of all the minute circumstances that have to fall perfectly into place to make iy happen and how that would effect free agency and choice.
oooh, I could go on!
Now I'm getting a headache! : )
Thanks for your thoughts for our little grandson. About coincidence, not a clue. Isn't coincidence just a word people invented to explain things they don't understand?
Post a Comment