Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fragments

"Poems, intimate notes, letters by marilyn monroe...fragments..."

Since I've always been interested in Marilyn's muddled life, I borrowed this book from my local library. Am I cynical and jaded? Maybe, but I just don't believe that the first letter in the book was written by a teenager.( I've read thousands of young girls' musings and never once an epistle such as this.) She supposedly writes concerning her new husband: "I discovered that he [her husband at the time] had spent the evening and most of the morning hours with the other woman to be prosaic and I thanked God I had waylaid him on the beach to protest my undying love..."  Please! She was a high school drop out and barely 17. Though I'm sure she was intelligent and later became quite well read, I do not think she would use words like prosaic and waylaid. I don't care if it was the 50's. It doesn't even sound like some of the other handwritten entries later.

Does this really matter? I suppose not--not even to Norma Jean. It's just that books are such a disappointment to me lately. I love reading but I just can't find a read that enraptures me or holds my attention for two seconds. Maybe it's just my fractured psyche.

I've decided the only way people know that you're crazy is if you talk or write about it. If one keeps her mouth shut and doesn't leave evidence of the insanity, then she is considered fine or just not thought about at all. So what does this tell us about blogs and bloggers? I pour out every scrap of thought for "all the world" to see. I'm right there in the center of the fray. When will I learn to just shut up?

The future is free to find these frets and haunt my progeny for decades. Just go ahead. Like anyone would care. My daughter and her children pretty well know I'm delusional. The boys say, "You're a coconut, Grandma!" They mean that I'm silly and slightly off keel. That's fine by me. Maybe they can make big bucks off some senseless book when I'm dead and gone. I'll bet the world would love to peek into my mind in 40 years.

4 comments:

Scrappy Girl said...

You mean like how people could take something you have written on your blog and make you out to be a mean nasty person and use it as an exscuse to exclude you from an activity you really loved. I might know a thing or two about that...lol

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Hmmm...well if you are quirky and off-center (and I kinda like that in a person) I don't think you're alone...

I love the photo of MM (Norma Jean?) and I don't think she wrote like that either..but maybe that's a work of fiction rather than non..anyway..I'm rambling. I have about 4 books right now that I'm a little way in..or nearly finished..but can't concentrate long enough to remember any of them..what does that say? About them? Or about me? Oh, and apparently "spell check" doesn't like it when I spell "them" as htem..which my fingers always do...

I gotta get a life...

CB said...

Well it would be boring to read about you if you were just normal right - So be happy to be a coconut!

Nicole said...

Yeah, that might have been fancy writing back then (seems like we've lost some of those great words/writings) but makes you wonder if a high school drop out would really write like that! I like Marilyn though :)

Blog Archive