Friday, August 26, 2011

Copyrighted??

I see all these blogs and photo sites that have copyrighted their stuff. I think that is so cute. Some have their logo or name over the picture; some just have a disclaimer saying they'll beat you to a bloody pulp and sue your fanny off if you use their creations.

How does one get a copyright on such material? I thought copyrights were complicated. Evidently not. I can see that this would be tricky if you actually had something worth protecting. I don't.

Feel free to use anything you see on any of my posts. Like my photos or my witty sayings...go 'head. Steal away. I just don't feel the need to protect my blurry pics or my rambling monologues. I'm pretty sure there will not be a run on purloining my content. Lots of the pictures I use I steal right off Google anyway. Does Google have copyright over some of those images? Would Diet Coke sue me for using a picture of their product? I practically own stock in their company, after all.

But I do respect your right to copyright. I do. I just think it's adorable that you like your ideas and visual renderings that much. I promise I won't pilfer. I really don't have the capability even if I wanted to. Notice: there are no cute signatures or buttons on my blog. I'm clueless.

And while we're on the subject of symbols, what does the hash mark # mean on Twitter? We have a group of young men at our home D-backs games that paint their chests with this message, " # Dbacks." Now, I get the Dbacks part. But I don't have a clue about the #. I thought it was called a pound sign and was used when you're through filling prescriptions at Sam's Pharmacy. The @ means something different in Twitter talk too. I guess it denotes the person "tweeting" or something? Feel free to clear up my confusion and lack of knowledge. I don't Tweet or Twitt or any of that...I just don't. I'm obviously twittless.

I'm still working on the Faith lesson. Have taken two Imitrex for migraines. And am just grouchy and nervous as a bear awoken too soon from hibernation. I dare not rant again. That was embarrassing. I've sworn off rants. Though next time if I do, I'm copyrighting that hot mess so nobody else uses it!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that what Google was invented for? To steal photos?

Rant all you like. It's your blog, Jo. Just make sure you pass it by Holly prior to posting. :)

I like your new 'look' witht he trees and SNAP OUT OF IT right on the TOP so we can see it! Me thinks that Mary Englebreit was a closet whinner.

Love ya! You make me smile.

RoeH said...

I haven't ever done it because really - if it's on the internet it's open door! But I had an RV outfit somewhere in the midwest contact me and wanted me to put their link onto my blog so their campers and RVers could see the Arizona photos. Sounds like a nice plan on paper, but they're not using my blog for their advertising without something for Number One. And they didn't offer anything except the pleasure of letting my blog be their free advertising. They wanted usage of some of the pictures. When they wouldn't cooperate on my end of it, I told them no. So now I'm wondering about the copyright thingy. Although it's very easy to scoop a photo and crop it and still use it. I'd never know unless I saw it sometime on their site and that would be a huge coincidence.

Holly said...

What's a twitter?

Nicole said...

I read a comment on twitter yesterday where the girl was upset b/c someone was stealing an idea for their own blog and "not giving it credit"....

just call me jo said...

Holly, YOU are a twitt!! But you don't tweet so you're not a twitter...hahaha!!

ain't for city gals said...

This reminds me of someone getting into my bank account or credit report...more power to them..who would want it??? I am hoping some illegal uses my ssnumber and puts some dollars into my account!

Big Fat Gini said...

Honestly, I get the copyright thing. Intellectual material still has just as much value and unfortunately, there are people out there who want to take it and use it for profit. Also, I do know people who have had their photos stolen and used for less than wholesome purposes (mainly photos of their children).

I mean, I'm pretty sure people don't really steal from ME because I suck. But I can understand why some of the more prominent bloggers out there like to protect their ideas.

And the # on Twitter is called a "hashtag." It's a way to label/categorize your Tweets. So, those guys are out there trying to get the D'backs trending on Twitter (in other words, be popular).

Ah, the internet. Full of useless information.

mCat said...

Well I'm glad to know that I am not alone in this entire thing. I don't get the copyrighting. Although about 4 years ago, all hell broke loose because a blogger was stealing another prominent bloggers words and using them in her own post - I guess I should say, her compilation of words. The prominent lady got ticked and with enough of her fans, humiliated the other woman right off the WWW.

I'm not prominent and I have no delusions to think I am something special so I guess if someone swipes something, whatev.

And I am SO NOT GETTING the whole Tweet, and symbols and crap.

Hope your head is better

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

I have one, and its not a copyright in the sense that people might think they are. It does start documenting and dating all your material so INCASE you ever run into any problems, you basically have the proof that something was yours before someone elses... does that make sense?!

joanne said...

I'm fairly new to your blog and understand how you feel about the whole copyright thing but I'm really very confused about something....did you just call me a twit?

Amy said...

I have nothing special or wonderful on my blog but I put a copyright thingy on the bottom just in case I come up with something witty and amusing that someone thinks is worth stealing.

I do not get the Twitter thing at all. I have not interest in tweeting, being a twitt, or whatever they call themselves.

I must have missed a rant post. Dang it. I love your rants.

Unknown said...

I'm laughing hysterically at this post ... as soon as I'm done with this comment, I'm going to scour your blog and steal EVERY picture and funny statement. That'll teach you!

Actually, I have no idea how to do all those little watermarks and stuff. I think I would need additional computer software, but I'm just way too cheap to buy anything.

And, yeah, don't get the twitter thing at all ... people have asked me if I'm on twitter and I'm just not that hip, I guess.

Blog Archive