It wasn't quite the ER. It was Urgent Care on Bell Road where the air conditioning was out and sweat poured off my body like rain. We were there for over an hour. Everyone working there was from some other continent. I didn't understand a thing any of them said. They didn't understand us either. Rick couldn't hear and so used me as an interpreter. I was completely flummoxed by the dialects. I had to spell our Idaho physician's name--H-A-R-R-I-S. Is Harris a hard name to understand? "Dr. Harris," I kept saying. I speak good English, people. I'm so intolerant when sweat is running in my eyes...
Rick emerged with a handful of prescriptions, so instead of going to dinner at 6:35 p.m., we headed to Sam's pharmacy which was closing at 7. By 7:05 they managed to fill the four scripts and $149 later we were outta there. By that time I was cranky--or "grunchy" as Holly says. So we went home and ate left overs for our anniversary dinner. I expected no more. It's Rick we're dealing with here. The diagnosis was swimmer's ear, so it was pretty serious
Then as if that wasn't fun enough, Daughter called at 9:45. (Yes, I was asleep.) She wanted to tell me that Blakers was out of control and she thinks he's allergic to milk. So all night long I had troubling dreams about the grand boys. I woke up from a dream where I was pulling some lady's hair in defense of grandchildren only to find myself pulling my own hair in real time. I am so disturbed!! It's true.
Daughter keeps calling me as I write this. She's driving the children to CA to the other grandma where they will stay for a week while she vacays. I'm not jealous other grandma has them for a week, but I do pray for her soul. It ain't easy to tend all three and I am grateful it's she and not I. Just go to Hawaii, Daughter, and be safe. She's so jet setter it makes me itchy.
Tomorrow, you know, is Rick's birthday. I'm planning nothing--nothing. I so hate to get my hopes up.
8 comments:
Not a fun way to spend an anniversary. For Rick's birthday (not that any of it is his fault!) you could get him a gift certificate ($10.00 limit) for the local Dollar Store and help him spend it, all the while moaning and holding your poor sore aching head.
I'm like you - never jealous when the 'other grandmother' gets to babysit for a week. Been there, done that!.
Boo for the ruined anniversary! Well, I hope the swimmer's ear gets better ASAP, and then you can try for the dinner again...right?
I hope your grandboy isn't allergic to milk. Allergies SUCK!
anniversary celebrations are overrated anyway...
Well, just crap!!! Your anniversaries suck worse than mine. Hopefully the birthdays will be better. You are going to buy yourself a present for the Rickster to give to you, right?
OH!!!!! Go buy that super expensive butter-soft fortune cookie purse we found but didn't want to spend the money on.
... seriously? This is such a bummer. :( I hope your week takes a turn for the better, Jo! <3
Just think, if it hadn't been for the ear problem you probably would have been out to a 5 Star restaurant in your Manolos, sipping champagne, whispering sweet nothings across the candle-lit table. Then home to your sexy but classy negligee and a rose petal strewn bedroom....
right? right, yes??...
Instead of...we went to dinner.
You now have an interesting story to tell about your anniversary. BUT make sure you get out for your birthday. I am sure you and Holly could stir up some excitement for the day.
Post a Comment