We were in the midst of a lush Sonoran Desert biosphere. And the Organ Pipe Cactus Nation Monument.
Between Ajo and the border is a minute town called Why. And this was the Why-Not Travel Store, a charming collection of everything you'd want or need in the middle of no where.
I enjoy perching by garbage cans, I guess. (I didn't notice it til I was fixing the pictures.) I'm so classy.
And I enjoy posing with my friend the organ pipe cactus.
This parasidic grown in the tree is known as desert mistletoe. A park ranger told me so. It's kind of creepy. We thought at first it was a bird's nest.
Beautiful vegetation abounds in this arid area.
Here's the fence running over the mountain to the west. Ominous.
This was once a school and is now apartments. I'd love to see the apartments inside. Charming old building. I snooped as much as I could and then a lady came out and asked me what I was doing. I told her the truth. "I have no idea where I am and what I'm doing!"
This mammoth copper mine was once the heart of Ajo. Twenty-some years ago it closed down and much of the town folded up with it. It really is an amazing scar on the land, but it's also sad that so many lost their jobs when it went out.
Rick nearly wrecked the car backing up to get a picture of this heron. Then it flew off into the field. That white stuff is cotton that blows out of trucks when they haul it around this area of Ajo.
I didn't take pictures of the most hilarious part of the jaunt. We saw all these crosses and graves in this "cemetery" on the opposite side of the road. We love old tombstones and cemeteries so we flipped around and went back. As we drove through the gate, we saw that it said, "Ajo PET Cemetery." But it was too late by then, there was a car right behind us, so we drove on in. (There were indeed little pet graves for Angel and Buddy and Gypsy among others.)
OK, so not only one car came in behind us, two more big fancy Ford pickups drove in right after we parked. We discovered that we were in the middle of a pet funeral procession. Evidently, Fluffy or some other beloved creature had passed on. The mourners wore cowboy hats and one had on blue, bib overalls. We sneaked out before the ceremony started. Who in the world would think we'd be part of a pet funeral on our first (and most likely only) journey to Ajo? I was just relieved we left before they could ask Rick or me to speak or pray for the funeral. Lola thought it was most bizarre. She told me she was a'feared.
12 comments:
I think it's wonderful that you took the time to drive all the way to Ajo to pay your respects to Fluffy. She was a good dog, loved by so many. She will be missed.
Holly said it first, but that's exactly what I was thinking, except I thought Fluffy was a cat. You paid your respects and that's all that matters. Love all the photos. It was a GREAT tour of Ajo. Felt like I was there. take care.
Nice-looking area. I've never been to AZ...
Pearl
I'm so relieved that now I don't have to go to Ajo, the town that was named after garlic. Did it smell? (Actually, that looked quite fun...especially the animal graveyard)
It's always fun to go exploring and obviously you never know what you might run into. I never would have thought of a procession of mourners for a pet funeral. Nice pics, too.
Accidental funeral processions can ONLY happen to YOU! That was WAY too funny!
Love those cactus...man, are they tall! Were you near Bisbee at all? We were there a couple of yrs ago and saw the copper mines.
You looked terribly 'dewey' in your photo on the garbage can, by the way.
Looks like an interesting place to visit. Did you cross into Mexico? It's nice to see pictures of you.
We should have hooked up! I could have gone to a pet funeral with you!
I LOVED visiting your state. The weather was fabulous and I needed every single minute.
Uh, you look pretty darn cute, even posing with the garbage can!
I keep thinking we need to do more touring while we live here in AZ. There's so much history and so many things to see! The list goes on. :-)
Glad you had a good time! I like your hair.
That's all that guards the boarder? No wonder we have so many illegals here. Ok that was mean but still.... looks easy enough to cross... LOL. Also looks like a fun little place to visit! I love cacti!
I love that area, I've had a lot of adventures in the Ajo area :) Great pictures! How odd that there was a pet funeral. You just never know what you're going to see!
Sounds like you had a little adventure. I enjoy visiting new places and if I were to happen upon a funeral for Fluffy, all the better.
Post a Comment