Friday, February 3, 2012

"Heavy Boots..."

I just finished the book Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.  I do get completely immersed in the characters and language of some books. This was such a one.

The young narrator Oskar lost his father in the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers. This is where I felt it would be morose and gloomy. It's not just that. It is funny and sarcastic and very revealing of  inner turmoil

I feared (as you did, Amy) that it would be extremely sad and incredibly depressing. It is heart wrenching and emotional but not predominately sad. The writing, rich and compelling, is in kaleidoscopic and random patterns.

 It is stream of consciousness, but it's more than that. It is symbolic, maybe excessively so, but the attraction isn't strictly symbolism. It's visual and auditory and all forms of descriptive. It contains pictures, and graphics and red-circled words like a teacher makes when correcting papers. The plot is revealed like the path of a scavenger hunt. Because that's kind of what the book is--a hunt for unknowns.

Oskar describes his sadness and misery as "heavy boots."  The other characters are almost illusions of his imagination.

I plan to read more of Jonathan Safran Foer, though I fear that he can't repeat the attraction and texture in this book. Often readers feel regret when a story ends and they must leave the aura of the story. That's the only true sadness in this book. That it ended. And that my life can become so wrapped in words and images that I reluctantly return to reality.

12 comments:

Holly said...

I've been talking myself out of reading this but I may have to shut myself up and just read it. You always give the best reviews.

life in red shoes said...

I'm glad you gave a review, as I too was afraid of even seeing the movie!
I love a book that pulls you in, not to many do that.

CB said...

Now you just have to go see the movie - It is exactly the same - Not sad at all. The boy who plays Oskar is amazing.
I am going to read the book :-D

larainydays said...

That review was beautifully written. I am so glad you liked it. That Jonathan is a fine writer

Anonymous said...

Your review was outstanding. Poetic, in fact. Somebody ought to hire you, girl.

Thanks. I'll see if the library owns a copy.

J

RoeH said...

I have this on reserve at the library. I'm gettin' too cheap to be buying books anymore.

Anonymous said...

Love your review ... hope you do more of this. You certainly have talent hiding away.

Amy said...

Great review. Perhaps I will read it after all.

Pat MacKenzie said...

My goodness, you should write a book review column for the local newspaper...or write a book yourself. I love the words you used - kalideoscopic!!! Will you see the movie now?

TARYTERRE said...

I hesitated to read this book or see the movie when they came out, for so many reasons. But your review has opened my mind to the possibility of doing it now. Take care.

mCat said...

I now might change my mind about seeing the movie. I got an email from a friend back east last week and it was incredibly sad and depressing for him. But he was only 5 blocks away on 9-11 and witnessed it all first hand. I guess he would have a different perspective. I think after your review, my mind is more open to see it

lesa said...

I picked this up at Costco and put it in my cart, walked around, and then put it back. I can't decide if I want to read it or not..

Blog Archive