Monday, February 1, 2010

A Little East of Eden

February 1st! Hurray, January is over...But...dum, dum, dum--what lies ahead?  TAXES!

I have to collect all that stuff for taxes: our paperwork from selling one house, buying another, selling trucks, being unemployed, moving, and having no tax person in Arizona--yes, those TAXES!

Now that Rick has a job, most issues here are better, but I miss having a network--doctors, tax people, dentists, optometrists, local banks, grocery store clerks that know me. That kind of network
.
Rick and I are from a place called Magic Valley in southern Idaho. Rick lived in Eden; Bliss is about 20 miles up the road on the way to Treasure Valley. A place of networks where we had both lived since birth. A place where everybody knows our name--literally--There is a town named after Rick's ancestors--Gooding.
When strangers used to ask our last name, we'd always say, "Gooding--you know, like the town." And they'd smile and nod and understand what we meant.

Here Gooding means nothing to people. We're often called Goodwin or Goodman and there's no recourse. They don't give a damn that there is a town in Idaho named after us and that they would get our name correct if saying "...like the town" meant anything to them.
No network--like I said. But when those #%&*!  taxes are finished and we've sent in our payment ('cause you KNOW we will have to pay boat loads) things will roll on. This next year should be easier and we'll have fewer taxes and maybe we'll find a newtwork.


3 comments:

Jules AF said...

My dad does taxes for a living. This has always been the most stressful time of my life. I'm SO glad I don't live with him anymore.

life in red shoes said...

Daeth and taxes, 2 things you can count on!
Reading this post made me stop and think of all the things I take for granted here.
I do hope that in the year ahead you start to feel more grounded.
How's the new "ward?"

life in red shoes said...

Daeth, don't you hate it;)

Blog Archive