Today is our only child's thirtieth birthday--June 16th. Ahhh! I can't think of anything witty or profound to say, but I do love and appreciate that child.
Now she is expecting her third boy baby and I am making a quilt for newbie. (I hear and fear that his name will be Wyatt. Not so thrilled with that name, but...)
With the twins I made gobs of fancy pieced quilts, all hand quilted and cute. If she's wise she will have saved those. I don't think they were used up. So for newbie (I still can't call him Wyatt) I am making more serviceable, useful receiving blankets, burp cloths, and a little security blanket. It doesn't look like much here, but it's soft and cute. One side is flannel and the other this soft baby fleece stuff that was a bugger to work with. I blanket stitched around it by hand with this neat green pearl that doesn't show up here. I love blanket stitching by hand. I was going to tie or quilt cute patterns but it's not even enough to do that. (That dang fleecy stuff didn't cooperate.) I'll also be making one with cute green minky on the back and some green and blue flannel. Will post pictures later.
Also on this day in history, I finished reading Lee Child's 61 Hours. Loved, loved, loved it! It's fast and fierce and the ending is not-to-be missed. I also finished J.A. Jance's Trial by Fire the other day and it was good too. Typical, but good. Now I'm reading a YA novel series Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty. She's no Shakespeare, but it kind of reads like a blog. Fast and funny and not too taxing on the synapses.
Also, I am thinking of painting my kitchen cupboards--half ivory, half ebony. What do you think? (Top ivory, bottom ebony.) What do I have to loose? They are gross oak right now and I hate them. Any pointers for making paint stick on kitchen cabinets? I might experiment in the guest bath with the ivory and then move up to the kitchen. Please give pointers! (See, Queenie Jeanie, I have hobbies. Yes, I do! ;o)P.S. I have no idea what I did to my blog layout. I tried to change the background and completely screwed up everything. I apologize to the blog gods, but I don't know how to get it back.
9 comments:
if the cabinets have a finish on them, the paint will run right off so you'll probably have to sand them down to the base wood so they'll hold the paint.
No advice for the cupboards, but I love the color idea. Ebony and ivory would look great. And is it possible to mention those colors without the song popping into your head? I don't think so.
I would love to be able to sew like you do. I can kind of do a straight stitch, sorta...but what you do is awesome!
I'm sure we can get you a fuzzy tiara, too. ;-)
Can't wait to see the finished quilt.
I love the ebony/ivory idea. I think it would look awesome.
You might have to sand them first or you can try to prime them.
Good luck with the cabinets. I never done anything like that, so I can't even imagine the best way to do it. I bet they will look great, though. I love the ebony and ivory idea.
Fun! I wanna see more pics of the blankets and when your kitchen is finished!
HI!!!
I love the name Wyatt, it is a popular name right now!!!!
Sounds so manly, like Cody, or Hunter, I like names that are a bit different though!!!!
That blanket you are making sounds awesome, all the things you named off you made sound awesome!!!!I wish I had not given my singer sewing machine away 20 years ago, I hope who ever bought it at my garage sale is loving it alot!!!!!
Congrats on 3rd grandson!!!!!
Hmmm...painting cabinets, I do not know, I would practice, I love the black distressed look so much, not sure about the ivory on top black on bottom, are you never moving????Just kidding you!!!!!
it will be fine, ask Marty --are you her follower???She did that recently, painted her cabinets!!!!
Sorry for my absence, I had no wind beneath my sail and I was out for a month or so, just needed a break.
Hugs,
jamie
Happy Birthday Dear Only, if you only knew how good you had it:)
Making blankies is one of my favorite thigs to do. Soft, cute, good cause.
Cabinets, I hated my oak too, we painted them white about 4 years ago, LOVE THEM.
We first washed them with 409 to remove any grease, they were old. Then a quick sanding with a scotch brite pad, followed by Liquid Sandpaper. Wiped them off, 1 coat of Kilz, 2 coats of paint, an entire weekend. Totally worth it.
We used a paint sprayer, those little sponge rollers work great too.
Keep us posted.
Man, your baby is 30! Rachel and I are getting old. You what that means about you, right? It means you're getting really old. :) No, just kidding. The blanket looks super cute. I am jealous of your quilting abilities- it just looks like too much work for me.
P.S. I just read your comment about finding a swimsuit. Go to limericki.com for the cutest swimsuits EVER. And until the 22nd, it's free shipping.
Yesss, you're reading Sloppy Firsts! Let me know how you like it!
Post a Comment