With the 110-degree weather upon us, we are trying to help our baking lab Barley. She won't go in a pool, doesn't like water, runs when we try to water her down, won't run through misters. She's doomed to swelter. So after much research online, calling my shi tzu's groomer, and grumbling from the Rickster, we are in the process of shaving the lab.
Now some online "experts" say not to do this. But people living in the hubs of hell (AZ) including the groomer say they shave their dogs and put swamp coolers on the deck for them to bask in. (We have not procured a swamp cooler yet.) But I did buy trimmers at Walmart.
I have never shaved a dog, or anything really (except my legs), so I admit I wasn't the best to do this. The Rickster had to hold her and he's not a groomer of anything. Therefore, I took the helm. It's not as easy as you might think to shear a dog who has 2 inches of oily, bristly fur all over her squirming body.
Barley was the better behaved between her and Rick. Every time I'd get a little close to Rick's hand (I'm talking inches away here) or to any of Barley's wrinkles, Rick would jump and scream like a girl. Then poor dog would leap around and I would yell swear words at both of them.
This was all done out in the direct sun because that's where the plug in was. Piles of dog hair accumulated and floated in the air going up my nose, in my mouth, and clinging to my sweaty limbs. It wasn't pretty, people. I didn't try the tail or the head. Stayed away from the tender tummy and the bum area. So you can imagine how lovely she looks. Some parts of the back and left side look OK, but there is much that looks like some little kid got the clippers and went at 'er. I never said I was a pro.
Our goal is to give it a go again tonight. That's assuming Barley will even come to us any more. She seemed much cooler and happier. We watered her down, fed her, threw the Kong, and she seemed cooler. I've attached a picture, but it's through the window cuz I didn't want to disturb her sleep. You don't get the full effect of the chops. Wish I'd had a way to photograph the actual process, but I was a little absorbed with the clippers and not killing Rick. Maybe I'll be able to get some shots of tonight's session.
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(244)
-
▼
June
(19)
- Man Down
- The Heat Is On
- Stale Saturday
- Tennis, Anyone?
- I Need Direction
- Garbage In. Garbage Out
- Father's Day Memo
- I Went Toward the Light...
- My Baby's Baby Blanket and Birthday
- Untestimonial
- Just Observing...
- Arizona Mammonazi
- Shaved Dog, Anyone?
- Anniversary and a little Angst
- Hot Stuff
- Book List
- I Told You...
- I'm an Expert
- The Jolly Month of June
-
▼
June
(19)
8 comments:
She looks happy and sassy! I've shaved dogs before (I have a cocker spaniel) and I showed sheep in high school so I used to shear (shave) them... it's not easy! You did a wonderful job!
I'm sorry, but this whole story made me laugh!! When living with my parents, we always shaved the dogs during summer. Golden retrievers wear a mean mohawk... and our springer spaniel always looked like a happy, curly little lion in brown and white. :)
But the dogs always went to the groomer for this, b/c if my parents had taken this task on, I'm pretty sure they would've slit each other open with the clippers... on purpose.
To bad you didn't set up the video camera! You could have killed 2 birds with 1 stone- Funniest Animal video and Stupid Human tricks;)
Poor Barley, our chocolate lab Gracie won't swim either. Will you have to slather on the sunscreen now?
See I always used to shave my dogs for summer, but now with the new puppy I heard that I shouldn't do that. I might give him a trim.
Oh my heck, I had to laugh at the story. I can just picture it all. The shaving thing sounds like a good solution to me. It must be rough having to deal with the sun and heat. ;)
Does she have to stay outside? Poor thing. At this point I'm sure she'd rather be cooler than prety, lol!
Ugh! Pretty. Sorry for the typo, lol!
I had to laugh. At least she will be cooler now. My Lab mix doesn't really like the water either. He runs from the hose, won't go near a sprinkler. I thought labs liked water.
Post a Comment