Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I Once Had a Farm in Africa...

That's a loosely reconstructed line from the movie "Out of Africa."(when Meryl Streep left her lovely plantation and idyllic life behind.) I said that 12 years ago when I left my newly remodeled house for a house I bitterly referred to as "the house from hell." And then a year and a half ago I left another beautifully remodeled house in Idaho for the desert dwelling in Arizona.

I left gleaming, hardwood floors; granite, brand new, custom cabinets with ripply glass doors; tile in the bath, and a frameless glass door in the shower for a tract house that is beige vinyl, ugly beige carpet, and homely oak cabinets with brass hardware. (The list of unattractives could go on but I refrain from the pain.)

So--lately we have been looking for new tile for the kitchen and entry way or hardwood--something to beautify the bland. I like the basics of this house, but it lacks pizazz--A LOT.

Trouble is, we're on a limited budget broke, and come to find out that tile stuff and wood stuff is costly. Sadly, Rick and I can't I won't let us install tile or hardwood ourselves. I want it done nicely. We lack talent, skill, tools, and I don't want us to. We've had three or four people measure and bid, scoured the home improvement stores, and even looked online and at yard sales. Nothing works. The bids are too high, the materials aren't right, the complications are endless.

Therefore, I will be satisfied, content resentfully resigned to the beige vinyl and builder-grade banality of my present abode. I will continue to hate embrace the utilitarian plainness of my digs. I will begrudgingly willingly resign myself to live like this for the remainder of my days, lest I once more have to say, "I once had a farm in Africa" when I have to move and leave my costly investments behind.

8 comments:

Emily of Boston said...

I love the word "banality." It doesn't get used nearly often enough.

Scrappy Girl said...

That explains our home...it lacks pizazz.

RoeH said...

I know the feeling. Funny post tough. We'll have to talk about Idaho sometime.

Liz said...

No fun. At least you could call your present home a fun new challenge, right? ;-)

Nicole said...

yeah doing it yourself isn't the best... my husband with the help of my aunt (and all the brave soles who helped pull up nasty laminate flooring) tiled our kitchen. It wasn't fun but it's beautiful now! I found the tile at 39cents a sq ft... couldn't pass it up.. LOL

ain't for city gals said...

Yep,,,it is the finish work that adds up. Even when you can do the work yourself the material has gotten so expensive and I fear is just going to get worse...there is no inventory anymore which means they can charge just about what they want. How about paint..can make a big difference.

Skinny Sweets said...

I love the pictures of your grandsons. They're adorable!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

I *LOVED* that movie..teh furtiture, the scenery..oh, but back to you. I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams anywhere you live to be bland, baige OR boring! And, never say never..one day you will have the home of your dreams..it may take a while, but you have it! And, bet it won't be as far as a farm in Africa!

Blog Archive