Friday, January 21, 2011

Six--Quirks

Cherie at bakowbabble suggested that others post their 6 idiosynchronies--My spell checker doesn't recognize that word so I'm going for quirks.

Since I finished my lesson for Sunday and I have nothing else to post, I've decided to act on that suggestion.

1. I have to have the television on from the minute I get up til I go to bed.  I get depressed when it's too quiet or soft music is playing. I get anxious if I'm in chaos or loud noise. Therefore, I have the television turned low volume to something innocuous such as HGTV, the cooking channel or sometimes A&E or TLC or the history channel.

2. When I work or am pensive I bite my lips. I don't know how to explain it, but I clamp my lips in my teeth and softly bite down.  I'm sure I look ridiculous. When I see others doing this in stores or some where  it drives me crazy. However, I can't seem to stop. I have to use a lot of lip balm because my lips get chapped and sore.

3. It annoys the crud out of me when any one whistles while they work or think. I just want to walk up to whoever is whistling and punch them. (My son-in-law does it all the time. I suspect he does this just to drive me crazier since he HAS been told how much I dislike it.)

4. When I watch someone else work, it is very comforting and soothing to me. When I taught school and all the kids were busy and on task I just got this warm and pleasant feeling. I get that tranquil feeling when I see someone who is really proficient at their job. If someone is struggling at a task, however, (like my husband often does when he does repairs) it drives me wild and I get anxious and nervous.

5. Organization and order thrill me. One of the most delightful sights ever  was a linen closet I saw at an open house about 20 years ago. All of the white, fluffy towels were folded tightly and uniformly. Soaps and toiletries were lined up perfectly in vast quantities. Toilet paper and Kleenex was stacked in rigid rows...I still get chills just remembering it. Really precise and efficient organization is heaven. I like to fold clothes and I am always fearful of running out of items like toilet paper, soap, toothpaste--well actually anything. I always buy more than one of any purchase because I detest running out.

6. I am shy and mouthy all at the same time. Again, this is difficult to explain. I don't like big crowds, don't like to be the center of attention, and am terrible at socializing. But somewhere inside I think I'm the class clown or something and love making people laugh and entertaining them with funny stories or sarcasm. I'm often conflicted as to what kind of person I really am. I always self-deprecate but don't want people to agree with me when I put myself down. And I feel like I'm inadequate but somewhat talented all at the same time...

My list could go on and on. That too is rather quirky. I can list flaws for hours, but have trouble seeing my own strengths--overtly anyway. I don't want people to judge me and I don't give a sh*@ all at the same time...

8 comments:

Nicole said...

Quirks are who make us who we are! I like them! And my husband is always afraid of running out of tp too... LOL

Scrappy Girl said...

I love quirks.

I keep my tv on too!

I once saw a linen closet that had lace doilie edging on each shelf and all white towels, sheets, etc. Each stack was tied with a white ribbon. It was GORGEOUS!

Big Fat Gini said...

I can't handle loud and chaotic at all (which is probably why God gave me four sons). If the TV is on, the rest of the house has to be relatively quiet or I can't concentrate.

I hate whistling.

And, I'm an organizational nut!

We must be soul mates!

RoeH said...

Boy would we ever get along on number 6.

And whistling drives me quite a bit battier than I already am. I hate it. And I never taught my kids to whistle.

Fun post!

CB said...

I am with you on #1 and #3. Love having background noise in my house to listen to as I am doing stuff.
Whistling, clapping, finger snappign - ARGH!! That stuff all drives me crazy.
See I have more than 6 too - I thought I would just do 6 at a time - ha ha!

Liz said...

You know what? This post really made me want to see you. I mean, I already did, but just remembering being one of those class members you're talking about, quietly working next to the window at TFHS really takes me back and I just think it would be SO much fun to catch up. You're one of my ties to home, even if you're not there anymore.
And I totally identify with a lot of what you said. :-)

cathycan said...

hehehehe, very revealing! Aren't we all interesting?! Quirks make the world go 'round.

Katie said...

I leave the tv on a lot too...especially when I am home alone. Fun post!

Blog Archive