Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Best Advice I Never Got...

Katie Couric was on Today touting her new book about the best advice she ever got. William Bloomberg the mayor of New York's advice: "Get there early!" Another told her that manners matter... A whole list of helpful hints.

I tried to think of the best advice I ever got. I drew a blank. What? Have I never listened? Has no one ever shared? Why can't I think of advice I've received? Maybe it's just early onset of Alzheimers (not making light of that since it's a real possibility according to my daughter.)

My grandma Goldie used to say, "It'll all come out in the wash...if you wash long enough." I have that on my laundry room wall. My mom always told me when I lay down to sleep to leave my problems with the Lord for the night and take them up again in the morning. An LDS bishop once told me to think of others and not myself so much. (I was a little torqued at the time, but looking back I believe he was correct.)

It's possible that I have never heeded the advice given me. I can't quite believe that since I'm ever conscious of what others say about me and to me. Some of you have told me not to worry so much and not to put myself down so much. Ya, ya, ya...blah, blah--yikes! Could this be why I don't remember advice? Do I shun proffered wisdom?

So here's your chance! Sock it to me! Lay it all out. Give me your best shot--Let's hear your pearls:
Please leave a tutorial comment. Tell me the best advice you ever got. I'll try to take it to heart and see if I can resuscitate this waning existence.

9 comments:

Holly said...

The best advice I ever recieved was from my mother, "Leave the best piece of yourself with every person you encounter. Make it count." As for you:
Don't eat yellow snow.
Don't flip off gangbangers.
Don't iron clothes while wearing them.
Don't kick a porcupine with your bare feet.
Don't lick dry ice.
Don't chew gum found under the restaurant table.
Don't lick a jellyfish.
Don't say I never gave you anything.

Heather said...

My grandma used to always say, "This too shall pass." And it does. She was right. And she would know after four marriages. :)

larainydays said...

My mother's mantra, and one which I will spend a lifetime trying to follow is: Assume the best, look for the good.

You didn't know I could be serious did you?

Scrappy Girl said...

Boy do we appear to be in the same boat! lol Maybe if we both pick up the oars and paddle together!

I love the quote from Abraham Lincoln "Most folks are only as happy as they make up their minds to be."

So all ya gotta do is decided to Be Happy! Wish it was that easy every day. Some days that just won't work.

rae said...

All fires go out. All blood stops flowing. All waters recede.

Nicole said...

My dad always said, "You'll get glad in the same pants you got mad in or you'll change them." :)

ain't for city gals said...

My mom will say.."If you are having a bad day...go to bed early ..get up and have a cup of coffee in the morning and things will be better"...Don't feel bad...I couldn't ever get into the Outlander etc series either....

Mimi said...

HI!!
I like these few tidbits!!
Like what you have and Have what you like...does that even make sense???I do love what I have and therefore I must get what I love????
Also fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!!!
And Don't count your chickens til they have hatched!!!
Oh I have a few more, but they are ridiculous like these!!!
You are right, I doubt I listen either!!
hugs 2 U,
jamie
and THANK YOU THANK YOU--SOOOO MUCh for being my dear friend and saying so many nice things the other day...that anonymous person really made me mad!!!!

life in red shoes said...

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Think about it...so true!

Blog Archive