Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Blog Science

My daughter is trying to set up a blog--This after she has bad mouthed my blog and all blogs for that matter. She said she didn't like blogs because they were too many words and she just likes the pictures. But then she began to see that a blog could be a record-keeping device, a scrapbook of memories. That she could print hers and keep it to preserve the events in her hectic life.

The trouble lies in the fact that she can't seem to set up her header correctly. She wants it to be cute and have little buttons, etc. She called me all in a dither. She called me for computer help?? That's bizarre. And it's futile.

When I set up my blog it was all trial and error. I have no idea how I got it the way it is. I do know it took me a long time. She, of course, with three small children and a busy life does not have time. I told her some people hire their blog set up done. Or get a friend who knows what's what. Prehistoric mother people who stumble and bumble through blogville are probably not qualified.

I'd send you her email so you could help. Cause I know you people in the blogosphere are good like that, but she'd have a stroke. She is all worried about privacy and anonymity. (Which might be contra-productive, but...)

So blog friends, if you have pointers or sites where I could send her. Please tell me and I will pass it on. I hate to see her struggle and give up right when she's so close to becoming "one of us." Thanks, knowledgeable readers. I know you can help.

6 comments:

Holly said...

well, just crap. I have no idea what I did either. I'm sure I just went onto Blogspot and followed the directions. I remember it wasn't difficult. The important thing for her to know is that it will be an ever changing thing. She will customize it as she goes and add and delete buttons along the way. The first thing is to get it up and start going, she can worry about changes when she has time.

Nicole said...

If she's using blogger and she wants like page headers at the top of her blog (I'm assuming) if she'll click on design once she's on the blogger front page and then click on add a gadget, scroll down to pages, click on the + and it'll walk her through it. i've done a lot of trial and error as well.

RoeH said...

I think for most people this was all trial and error. At least that's how I started. I've been making it up as I go along. I have taught a couple of people to blog that I know in church and have found that you cannot TELL others what to do. It's easier showing them.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

http://www.tipjunkie.com/blog-101-blogger-blogspot/

Tons of great ideas.

Also bakowbabble.blogspot.com
Cherie does a lot of very easy to understand tutorials.

CB said...

Jo on my sidebar a little ways down is a link to my blog helps. I used to teach classes on how to get your blog up and running. I hope it helps.
There is alot of good guidance on the internet now too.

Liz said...

I'm no expert, but I'd be glad to share what I know: lizkasper{at}gmail{dot}com.

Blog Archive