Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Excuse me? Pardon me?

I drove through McDonald's for my Diet Coke fix this morning on my way to the library. Though not my first DC of the day, I can't pass a McDonald's without stopping. They do have good diet colas. Anyway, I digress...

As I exited  the drive thru lane, a compact black car was backing out of a parking space. On top of the roof  there appeared to be a sandwich of some kind wrapped  in  yellow paper. You know, like a sausage biscuit or a McMuffin of some flavor. Being ever helpful and concerned for my fellow man, I stopped and motioned to them that there was something on top of their car. Friendly like. Good Samaritanish.

The windows were dark, so I couldn't see inside. I could tell there were several people in the car. I visualized a harried mom with little kids, one of whom was not going to get breakfast. I kept motioning and gesturing dramatically.

The back window rolled down and an arm signaled me around. Instead of just moving on, I, like the rabid do gooder that I am, lowered my own window and shouted, "You have something on top of your car!"
Smiling with all the concern I could muster.

A car full of teen aged boys guffawed, "We know!"

We know?? That's the best you got? Idiots!

 I growled, "It figures!" And if I weren't such a saintly soul I would have shouted a swear word in parting.

But, I'm quite even tempered and sweet spirited. I could never scream obscenities at young men with such clever and glib senses of humor. Never!!

11 comments:

Nicole said...

haha... I would ;)

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You should have!
I'll have to give McD a try.

RoeH said...

Go ahead. Flip 'em off. I won't be offended. Sometimes we've got to take that right. Or left. Or whichever.

CB said...

Teenagers - You never know what they are up to!

Holly said...

Ok, spill it. What did you really say to them? Remember, I know you.

just call me jo said...

Yes, Holly. You know me too well. (When we next meet I'll tell you the real ending to that incident.)

Julie Harward said...

Well, at least you tried..and thats all you can do. I have never tries McD diet cokes..humm ;D

life in red shoes said...

I would have used sign language ;)

Liz said...

Silly boys! I love your good intentions.

AZ Larsens said...

In high school I knew kids who would tape a soda on their cars, and even heard of some idiots putting a baby carrier with a doll on top of their car and driving around. And people wonder why we're so hopeless about the next generation...

Mimi said...

HI!!!!
SO they bought this sandwich just to annoy people???Or to see how far it could stay on top of the car???Gotta love teenage boys, as my dear son is now at the mature age of 25, I heard once while he was in high school, he and his buddies tried to surf on top of one of his friends TAHOE????Can you believe them>?????SCARY thought!!!
Have a Great day and you are a very kind concerned citizen!!!!
hugs,
'jamie

Blog Archive