I finished the book. I think the thud or trembling of my house yesterday might have been the circus train stopping outside my fence...though I'm not certain. We have a ghost in our kitchen sink and refrigerator. It might have been him throwing himself against a package of chicken nuggets.
Did I like the book? I was impressed with the detail of Erin Morgenstern's imagination. I enjoyed some of the imagery and sensory description. Beyond that...I just can't decide.
It wasn't a comfortable read for me. As I was reading, I felt as if I were opening infinite numbers of those Russian nesting dolls. One leads to another to another--the story seemed to do the same for me. One part of the tale led into another into another. Even when it was over it wasn't finalized...
Reading the book made me "itchy" and apprehensive. It didn't transport me into the circus comfortably. I took each step with trepidation. "The circus arrives without warning." I'll never think of black and white stripes the same again.
This may make no sense even if you've read the book. I need to go shower and wash off the dust of the book. As I said, it made me itchy.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(242)
-
▼
October
(18)
- Onward, Pressing Onward
- Leaving on a Jet Plane...
- I'm So Relieved
- Getting Ready...
- A List...
- It's Come to This--
- ...without warning...
- Nothin'-- But Change Needed
- Friday Update...
- Anxiety Girl!
- Look a' Me!
- Shamed...
- Anger is the Enemy of Instruction...
- And So It Goes...
- Sick of Mitch
- Follow the Bouncing Ball...
- Red Eyes
- I've Ruined Myself!
-
▼
October
(18)


11 comments:
Hmmm..doesn't sound like a book for me. If I'm not left, even after the first few pages, with the hunger to continue on and on in the book - I give it up. But glad you didn't..give up.
I don't like circuses..is that the plural? I dunno. Anyway, don't like the clowns (eesh) Don't like how they train the animals with fear..don't like the trapeze..so. guess this is not the book for me.
Gotta go find a happy mood book..maybe Arby's has them right along with their "good mood food" LOL
You should do nothing but write book reviews. You have obviously found your niche. I don't need an itchy read. I do need a nap and a Diet Coke
I couldn't have stayed with it. Kudos to you!! Don't think I'll try.
Itchy. That is a very apt description. For me, it was worth the scratching.
Hhhhmmmm I have never heard of this book until you started talking about it in your posts.
Itchy huh? I'll have to check it out!
That's enough for me. I won't be reading it. Thanks for the review.
Some books are like that. They leave you feeling unsettled. I give you credit for sticking with it to the end. I would have abandoned it, early on. Hope your next book is more to your liking.
I'm with Colleen....clowns and circus are NOT my thing. They give me the creeps. SOOOO, that you actually finished this book is WAY more than I could have done and I'm proud of you. I'll NOT put it on my list, tho!
I'll agree, it's not a typical feel-good read. I agree with Laraine, though - for me, it was worth the itchiness. Like you said, the author's imaginative writing was incredible, and that's what kept me going.
I probably won't read that one.
I've read one that has got me itchy, but I keep thinking it will end.
Itchy........great description of a book.
HOpe you have an awesome day.
Hi Jo......I almost purchased this at Costco yesterday....but after reading your little synopsis....I don't want to get a rash!! LOL
the other Jo
Post a Comment