Monday, November 14, 2011

Funky Smells Everywhere

Somehow the whole house smells like dog since I came home. I can't tell if it is just me, Rick, that he let Barley in while I was gone, or Lola.

Therefore, Lola got scrubbed! She's behind me as I type shivering as if she'll freeze to death. Silly dog!

I'm also washing all bedding down to the mattress pads. We also turned the mattresses and I'm scouring everything to rid the house of this stench. Maybe I should look for rotting potatoes again, eh, Holly?

I'm trying to get my Christmas music lined up for after Thanksgiving. Do you have any favorite cds? Sometimes instrumental only makes me sad. Some with lyrics make me nervous and I want to gouge their eyes out--not exactly the holiday spirit I was looking for. I like traditional and not "Grandma got run over" style. I have a John Tesh Christmas album that has "Homecoming" on it. It reminds me of my daughter and her beautiful piano talent. I like that one. If you have loved selections, let me know! (I hate Mannheim Steam Roller or whatever it's called...makes me twitchy!!

We are feeding the missionaries the pulled pork that I fixed for the "guests" that never showed. I hope it works out. I've never fixed pulled pork before. It's a Pioneer Woman recipe. It's cooked with chipotle peppers and Dr. Pepper. Lots of peppery, huh! Hope it's good. I'm having trouble thinking of side dishes, but something will turn out.

I bought a cute bell jar thingy in Vegas. I will post pictures when I get it fixed up. I must continue to deodorize the house. I need to bake gingerbread or something.

13 comments:

Nicole said...

Do you have one of those scentsy burners? I finally jumped on the bandwagon and bought one. It'll make your house smell pretty! My friend says you can get the Better Homes & Garden scents too and they work just as well..

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Well, your house is gonna be clean....and so will the poor doggy that's shivering. (poor thing)

It will be interesting to know what your music list is. Don't be a hater, but I love Mannheim. I went to their concerts in SLC for years when they would come.
I also love Celtic christmas music by Windham Hill.

Look forward to seeing the bell thingy.

Pat MacKenzie said...

I love "So This Is Christmas" by John Lennon, I think. Guess it's time to dig my CDs out too. One of our radio stations has started playing Christmas music full time already - I'd prefer they wait till Dec. 1 but they don't listen to me.

When we used to sell our house (we moved a lot) I'd make gingersnaps so it smelled spicy and homey. Good luck getting rid of your scents

TARYTERRE said...

Love Pioneer Woman recipes. It'll be great, I'm sure. Hope that smell disappears. No kidding we had rotten pototaes making us gag around here a couple weeks ago. Don't know if you like Christmas CD's with vocals. But there's Michael Buble's Christamas, Harry Connick Jr.'s When my heart finds Christmas, or you can go with a 1940's sound and get Christmas with the Puppini Sisters or more modern with Annie Lennox's A Christmas Cornucopia. More classical with Andrea Bocelli. There are so many to choose from. Good luck. Take care.

RoeH said...

Well I was going to suggest Mannheim Steamroller but guess I won't. I'm not a huge fan of Christmas music. I think I just get tired of it when they start it so early. My thought is a week before Christmas. Okay many two.
There's a lot that I like. Like other said - I like the Celtic stuff and John Lennon's song and my favorite is Charlie Brown.

life in red shoes said...

Christmas music, so many painful renditions!
I start with instrumentals, Windham Hill, Kurt Bestor.
My all-time happy fave however is A Charlie Brown Christmas by Vince Garauldi. Puts an instant smile on your face :)
We have the dogs in more now that the weather has turned, they stink, I hate it.

kesandrach said...

Mom I think you should go get some Glade Plug-ins! That will fix it! Hahahaha

Vicki/Jake said...

Another reason I'm petless now...hope you get a fix. Christmas music is for Christmas... just my take on it. I'm a real Scrooge today aren't I... :)

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

I have one of those noses that smells everything..in their strongest forms and most of the time..that's NOT a good thing..so I can sympathize! I must try one of those Scensey thingies..I love a good Christmas smelling home! OK, so I like the classics for Christmas..the Carpetners, Burl Ives, Bing Crosby..but I'm a sucker for Christmas music and love most of it ..hey, if I ate meat, I think your pulled pork sounds good! Mr B always serves cole slaw with pulled pork amd benas. Good luck and let us know how it was (can't go wrong with Pioneer Woman recipes!) OH! Fon;t forget John Denver & the Muppeets! My favorite album!

cathycan said...

I love the way you just throw some simple statement out there that unintentionally cracks me up!
"I like traditional and not "Grandma got run over" style."
Nothing worse than a mystery smell, keep cleaning!! and enjoy your Xmas Muzac, I personally don't believe in Xmas Music til after Thanksgiving and as you can see I don't feel bad abt. using the word Xmas : )

Liz said...

My mom and I always listened to Amy Grant's Christmas CD when I was growing up, and I loved it. I just bought it for myself last week and it makes me so happy!

Good luck feeding those boys!

Amy said...

I love my Scentsys but when there is a funky smell I must track it down...

The pulled pork sounds fabulous. A potato salad would go well and since they are missionaries you should fix up some green jello with carrot sticks - though I have never made that. Ugh.

Last year I bought a couple of Christmas CD's that were compilations from Country singers. I had a Kenny Chesney christmas CD but I lost it somewhere along the way. The instrumentals can make me a little depressed and too much of the "Granny Got Ran Over" makes me twitchy. Montgomery Gentry has a fun song, "Merry Christmas From the Family" which is great is you have a crazy, redneckish family like mine.

Holly said...

I don't think it's potatos. You would know. My dog is stinky too right now. I made the PW pulled pork, it was very good but my favorite is her sloppy Joe's. Amazing! Try those next. Off to the office in a bit, I actually have to go in for a meeting. That means I need to wear a bra and shoes today. You know that just throws off my whole week.!

Blog Archive