Sunday, November 6, 2011

New Eyes

Rickster and I went to the eye doctor yesterday. Got new glasses. Got two pair. Needed sun glasses too. Haven't had any since I've lived in Arizona where the sun shines 340 days of the year or more. I have baby cataracts in both eyes now. Sun glasses will help those until they ripen. Doctor said it would be quite a while. Hope so.

Getting glasses and eye exams for two is expensive. I could have had a lovely vacation somewhere for a few days for what it cost. However, seeing is necessary and convenient. If your eyes are good now, be appreciative. I'm not sure I was properly so when I was young--when I had perfect vision and no need for glasses. Ahh! Those were  good years. Then I started moving the printed page out farther. Finally, I succumbed to reading glasses. Too soon I was stuck with bifocals. Dang!

My grand twins both have glasses now at age 6. That's fine too. I want them to see well, but there is that hassle. Their mom fell on top of Rooster and broke his. One of them left their glasses here last visit because G'ma Jo was cleaning them and forgot to give 'em back. Not their fault, of course. Called on the cell phone and ran them down to the corner to expedite the hand off. It was all good in the end.

And so we wait for new specks to arrive next week. Hope I can see better. Every time I read now my eyes get tired easily and I find myself sleeping instead of reading. The new glasses look about the same as the old ones. So no one else will probably know the difference. I am looking forward to seeing better. I keep moving up the eye chart. Pretty soon the only letter I'll be able to read is the giant E. It really isn't fun to get old. Not fun at all.

There's not much humor in this post. Maybe I need to see better to be funny. You just never know.

12 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Seeing........such a necessary evil.

I went last week too. Didn't cost me the price of a trip......just groceries for the month.

Enjoy seeing!

Heather said...

It's nice to be able so see, even if it costs a fortune. I'm grateful for our vision insurance, otherwise I don't think we'd ever go. You seem to be so good at keeping up on doctor appointments.

Holly said...

Just so you know, you are one of the funniest people I know. Hence the Diet Coke shooting out of my nose whenever we meet for lunch. Glad you got new specs. I really need an eye appt. Keep putting it off.

larainydays said...

I love getting new glasses, I hate needing them but always love choosing them, especially renewing my acquaintance with the optician who wears pointy glasses that make her look evil.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

OK, so first ..LOVE the fall look on the blog..very cute! And, may I say, creative even??

Yeppers, glasses are a hassle, but seeing is better than not..I have a sister that uses readers AND a magnifying glass..and still is too vain to wear glasses full time..Geesh!

So, be thanksful we can see even if it is by artificial means..just think about those to whoom this isn;t an option..no don't..it's depressing..

Big Fat Gini said...

I love the feel of new contacts. You can finally see the details on the leaves of trees and read signs and stop before you end up underneath the giant pick-up in front of you!

Anonymous said...

Last month I did the eye appt thing, too. Baby cataracts for moi, too. He said another 10 yrs before we should get concerned. HEY, I'm concerned NOW!!!!
Lucky for me the glaucoma test said I was borderline, too.

OK, what the heck is all this about? My eyes were always fine and I never really wore specs until about 6 yrs ago ~ when I bought LOTS of 'cheater glasses.

Anywho, you look adorable in glasses and nobody will be the wiser with the bifoculs.

Think of your post as a wake up call for all of us to get thee to the eye doc. It's nice to be reminded. I'd hate to loose my vision...rather be toothless than blind.

How's THAT?

Pat MacKenzie said...

I love getting new glasses. We've been buying ours down there in AZ these past couple of years because they're so much cheaper...I mean more inexpensive...down there. My problem is, how can I tell if the glasses look good on me when I'm trying on lensless ones if I can't see them??? That's when Lloyd comes in handy.

TARYTERRE said...

Nothing in the world like a new pair of glasses, except maybe TWO pairs. When I get mine, I make sure one is kind of wild and crazy and the other more conservative. So I can change them with my moods. You're right about how expensive they are, though. Sorry to hear about your cataracts. Take care.

Liz said...

I had to give in to glasses about three years ago. I do the contacts route, though. Never thought I'd be able to stick myself in the eye twice a day...it's pretty amazing what you can make yourself do!

Hope Rickster doesn't get booted from the insurance. That sure was funny, though! ;-)

Vicki/Jake said...

My vision's been bad since 6th grade...way back in the last century:) But twenty some odd years ago, I opted for the monovision thing and it works great for me. What's that? Well, I wear one contact...in my right eye, nothing in the left. My mind compensates and thinks I can see perfectly near and far. Cool huh!

Enjoy your new ones. And seeing things how they really are:)

Amy said...

If I didn't have vision insurance I would be in the poor house or walking blindly through life. One day, I was looking for my glasses on the dresser and accidentally picked up my Mom's sunglasses instead. Yeah, I am that blind.

I finally bought a new pair of glasses to match my contact prescription and love them. I would wear them out and about it they didn't make me feel so weird.

Blog Archive