However, the impetus for this post occurred when I came to a box where I housed those "extra buttons." Please tell me that you have some receptacle that holds these strays. (And while we're at it, am I just buying fewer and cheaper clothes lately or have manufacturers stopped giving these in our recessionary world?)
So I opened this old, cardboard box that once contained "Stockman Ladies Leather Gloves," (don't know where that came from) and I found dozens of little envelopes and zip-lock sacks with stray buttons carefully saved for the day when that one outfit would pop its fastener.
Some buttons in there date back to Rachel's childhood. She's now 30. Buttons for outfits that I no longer own and some that I don't every recall possessing. All were carefully sequestered in a separate envelope, some transparent and some opaque. Extra thread was thoughtfully included in some containers.
I show this closeted find and beg you to reveal that I'm not a sick, sorry soul--the only one who has this stash! I can't believe that I was so diligent to save the individual closers, yet so derelict in unearthing this treasure trove.
Also among the buttons and other debris I found one of my mom's old hearing aids. Just why this dead device was housed among the homeless buttons, I do not recollect. So I share my dirty little secret with you in the hope that you can reassure me I am not the only button hoarder on earth. Please!
Is there a 12-step organization for this situation? "Hello, I'm Jo and I'm a button hoarder."
Is there a 12-step organization for this situation? "Hello, I'm Jo and I'm a button hoarder."
12 comments:
hahaha... I have a bunch of those types of buttons too... but I don't know where they went when I moved.
I'm right there with you ..but wait..I even BUY other people's buttons at garage sales! Yikes..I am one sick puppy!
You know how O feel about buttons...I LOVE THEM!
I have also saved the little bags that hold a lonely button...just in case.
My sewing room looks like a bomb went off in it, I know what I need to do, just can't make myself?
Hi I'm Christy, and I'm a button hoarder too!
My mom has two huge jars of buttons and when we were kids we LOVED playing with them and sorting them and such. She still has them and we won't let her get rid of them.
Hello - I am Cherie - the Button Hoarder!! Ha Ha I also hoard other craft items...it is sick!
But buttons are just cool!
Way to go Jo!!
Any household worth its salt has a button jar/box/receptacle. You're just one of us, lady. ;-)
HI!!!
Good job!!!!
DID I tell you I found MY LOST button collection???I hid it months even a year ago, afraid MISS C would swallow them, so I hid them, so good it took me forever to find them!!
But I did!!!I don't know why I have a button collection, what am I ever going to do with them????
Collect them!!!haha
hugs,
jamie
the things Ive been ordering lately usually come with an extra button in a little envelope, maybe that's why they're so damned expensive! ANY
WAY, I love buttons and have a lot of very old ones from my grandmas. I had to make an elf costume and looked in the giant button jar to find two of the most perfect old, bright green 1 1/2 inch diameter buttons to use on the vest. These buttons must have come off of a coat, had a funky forty's pattern and were just so perfect for the costume!
I'm jealous!! Buttons are very expensive and you have a treasure trove of them! I always save the clothing's extras but never knew where/how to store them and they always got thrown away. This was before crafting though....
I can't wait to see your sewing projects!!!
Can we consolidate therapy classes? I seem to collect material.
Hi my name is Saimi and I have this thing for material....
Hope you don't mind me stopping by to say Hi!!
I hoard buttons - or at least I've started in the last year or two when I started purchasing expensive clothing with the buttons in a pouch on a string (rather than sewn right into the inside seam somewhere). I throw their stupid little pouches in a drawer when I rip them off my clothes (which I DO wear before washing... yup).
A friend of mine handmade some stockings this year and decorated them with her button collection... super cute!
Post a Comment