Monday, December 13, 2010

Simple Gifts--a Good Fit

I had a hair appointment today. I realize that people often give little Christmas tokens to people who help you out over the year.

Yet, I, in the midst of a Christmas boycott, had nothing. I usually bake banana bread, pumpkin/cranberry bread, or cookies for people. Not this year. There's no peanut brittle or fudge--nothin'.

So I went in the office to clean up my fast-growing mess in there and spied some sparkly reindeer ornaments I bought for my tree before I knew we weren't celebrating. My hair lady looks a little like Marilyn Monroe (moderned up a bit.) She's all glitzy and glam and likes sparkle and pizazz. So I took the deer from their dreary sale pack, plunked them into a gift sack, attached one to the outside with a card. Bam! Instant gift.

She loved it. Her tree is all done in gold and silver and is all glitter and gorgeousness, so the sparkly deer were perfect. I was so thrilled that someone else could use them since they would probably have been misplaced and forgotten if I had tried to keep them for another year when we actually try to be civilized again.

Then I was supposed to go visiting teaching this afternoon and had nothing for my ladies. Again--not usual since I am pretty careful about having a little something for all my contacts. While at Safeway to get bananas, I came upon those refrigerated cookies that you just pop on the sheet, bake, and go. I found ginger snaps and chocolate chip. Who could resist! 

I raced home after picking Lola up from the groomer. (She received a chew rope toy for her gift.) Turned the oven to 350 and plopped on the cookie clumps. Eleven minutes later the kitchen was filled with ginger and chocolate chip smells. While those baked blobs were still warm, I put them in foil sacks that I bought for Christmas a couple of years ago. Zing! another winner!

I feel good about giving these goodies because they were spontaneous, sincere, and no nonsense. They fit in the spirit of the season but still address frugality. I think I got a little spark of Christmas spirit today. It feels good. I don't think I'm ever going to let Rick talk me into this kind of "do nothing" holiday again. I realize that even if we don't buy gaudy gifts, I still enjoy the preparation, the giving, and the good feeling I get when I can do something thoughtful for people I know.

7 comments:

RoeH said...

Sounds like great ideas to me. I'll have to check out the Safeway cookie thingys. They just sound kind of good.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

It really is about the "feelings" isn't it? I love the idea of the spontaneity and frugality..both admirable traits my Dear..Good for you! Now, go out there and Jingle all the Way!

Liz said...

Score on the gifts! You are such an awesome lady.

life in red shoes said...

The older I get the more I realize, it's not about the stuff, it's about the spirit.
I do believe you've found it:)

Nicole said...

I usually do up Christmas plates of cookies every year too but last year oddly enough I didn't do it... I might like your way much better :)

Emily of Boston said...

Look at you! Don't you love it when this sort of thing just works out? :)

ain't for city gals said...

I have been buying the boxes of cookies at Trader Joes this year...gingerbread, chocolate stars and something spicy with powdered sugar...they are really good (better than I could bake), not too much bad stuff in them and really frugal and $2.99 a box...put them on a pretty plate..wrap it up with a big ribbon and good to go!..p.s. I always thought it should be the other way around on the hairdresser etc...they should be giving us a little something for all the money we spend with them..

Blog Archive