Can you tell that these three people are related? (Neither can I...) In actuality we aren't "blood," as my husband says. I was adopted, so maybe I have a disclaimer as to why I'm so short and stumpy. (Notice how my boobs are even with Kurt's tummy. Sigh!) Kurt and Tracy are brother and sister and more than 7 years younger than I. (I tell you that to account for how old and tired I look.)
I'm going to blame my condition on Rick. He kept me on the darn lake MUCH longer than I wanted. We were late getting ready, hence my thrown togetherness. Also, because I was late I forgot my camera so this was anothers photographic ability.
One feature I did like was these tree columns that were used all over their house. It was a Santa Fe style home with a flat roof. Instead of post columns as are traditional, Kurt brought in these alligator poplar trees, sanded them, and used them in the mammoth great room. There are 7 or 8 of them through the main part of the house. Quite dramatic.
The visit was long overdue. They seemed to recognize me, but I was completely unsure who they were. (I told Rick I wouldn't ever have been able to pick them out of a line up.) They were fabulous hosts--massive steak bar-b-que with probably 25-30 people. Their children were all there with their kids. I 'd never seen most of these people before.
I hope it's not 40 years before the next visit. We shared stories about our grandparents who we all remembered very differently. Kurt and Tracy lived near my grandparents and I lived far away so we viewed them from varied perspectives. It was nice to hear their kind recollection of my parents. I've never been close with any cousins, but when my uncle (who is 80) and my mom (who is almost 90) are gone, they will be my only living relatives. It's daunting.
Sorry I didn't bring my camera. They had a compound-like 5 acre lot that I affectionately compared to the Alamo. A massive 2-foot thick,9-foot tall adobe wall had a solid iron gate. There was a casita almost as big as my house, a rock-slide-surrounded pool, mammoth wrap-around porches with lush vegetation and misters, and a gazebo/bar/grill area that looked like the centerpiece for a luxury resort. Evidently, I'm the poor relation. (Just kidding--I think.)
But it was nice to see everyone. Queen Creek is a LONG way from Surprise, I found. When we first moved to AZ we looked at property there, but I'm glad now we chose Surprise. Going through all that traffic and hustle-bustle is too stressful for me. I'll just stay here in my little corner of the world. That big city stuff makes me nervous.
Monday, May 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(242)
-
▼
May
(23)
- Thank You Tuesday
- Who Am I Kidding?
- I'm Chicken--bawk, bawk...
- Second, Third, Fourth Effort
- Know It!
- Tuesday? Again?
- The "Show Me" State in Sorrow
- Fat and Lazy
- Sticky Mess
- I Thought You'd Wanna Know
- It's Tuesday ...
- Cousins
- Fishing??
- What the Heck, Blogger?
- Truth Stranger than Fiction
- It's a New Dawn; It's a New Day...
- Happy Birthday, Grand Twins
- It's Common Knowledge...
- I'll Stay in the Southland
- Just Poop Sucky
- Could He Be More Annoying?
- Totally Flat Tuesday...
- Irony Unfolds
-
▼
May
(23)

9 comments:
Ahhh.....wanna go somewhere? Just call me. I know Phoenix like the back of my hand. I have indeed lived here 34 years too long. *sigh*
Glad you got reacquainted with cousins. That's always fun. Sometimes it's not, so good that it turned out nice for you. And them. :)
I'm proud of you for going! I wouldn't have bet money on that one. Sounds like you had a great time. I'm back in town, let's get together.
Queen Creek is the wild wild west. I'm glad you survived.
I met cousins that I never even knew I had from Canada! Actually, their uncle was my Dad's cousin ..??..so, I guess we all have the same great grandmother. Geesh! Anyway, it's fun to connect with family..even if you don't recognize them! The house sound amazing..love the wood!
Well, I personally think you're adorable!
I have cousins that I rarely see, some I've never met (my mother's side). I think it's awesome that you were able to get together and create some memories!
Wow I didn't realize that driving through traffic made you nervous... Funny, you always seem quite calm on the 95 here in Vegas.
I'd like to see that house! sounds very neat! YOu look cute as usual! I have recently reacquainted with my cousins, after abt. 20 years. I've just felt a need to make connections and as you say, someday you will be the "ones left" {: )
He brought trees inside his house and made them into pillars? Hmmm.
Glad you had a good time! Next time stop at my house and we'll have a jolly reunion. :-)
Sounds like you had a nice visit!! You can never go wrong if you're eating steak for dinner, lol!
Post a Comment