Monday, May 2, 2011

Irony Unfolds

You'd think the foremost thought today would be the take out of bin Laden. And it is in most cases. But I had a dental appointment this morning. A simple cleaning was all.

I struggled to get the appointment. I haven't had my teeth cleaned in a year. Usually I get my teeth cleaned every 3 or 4 months because I've had periodontal disease and all kinds of excruciating procedures done to treat this problem. Then I came to Arizona and was dentistless for a year. Finally, an abscess and major pain sent me in pursuit of a dentist. One was expensive. The second was cheaper. I went with the cheaper. Therein lies the rub.

The cheaper never scheduled regular cleanings. Now I tried to get in to them again and they wouldn't unless I had root planing. (Ouch! Pain and money.) So I made plans to go to the more expensive dentist for a cleaning. As soon as I opened my mouth they fretted. They X-rayed. They called the dentist in for a consultation. This was not looking good.

The doctor says the crown I got last year might not be done right and there might be decay under it. He says that I'm in worse shape than I was a year ago in the gum disease department. He was concerned that I did all that and it's not working.

So as it turns out, I have to go back tomorrow for a root planing and major pain and agony. The charge is over $800, my share about $290. I have to reschedule bug man. Miss lunch with a church group. And suffer major distress at the thoughts of fighting the scourge again. I'm not happy. Not happy!

The other irony is that on two different news interviews today, the interviewee has referred to Osama bin Laden as Obama. Twice mind you. In two different times and two separate places. I don't know what it means, if anything. But it is a bit troubling when we speak of our president and our major enemy interchangeably. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Also, bin Laden's elaborate mansion compound was 1000 yds. from a Pakistan military academy equivalent to our West Point or Annapolis. And no one suspected a thing they would have us believe. Oh, really!

One of bin Laden's wives died while being used as a human shield. No one is sure whether he used her or she sacrificed herself. Really ironic. The coward hid behind a woman.

And, finally, some bad mouthed George W. Bush when he went after bin Laden. Now some praise President Obama as the one wise enough to go after this evil force. Give credit where credit is due. Both administrations were active in putting away this bad man. However, the military deserve most of our thanks for being the first line that sacrificed lives and effort to destroy this despicable element of Al Qeida.

I know dental disease is not equal to the take down of our # 1 terrorist threat. I will regain my perspective and become rational again. It's just that my teeth hurt, my pocketbook hurts, and this is not as happy a day as I wanted it to be.

11 comments:

Holly said...

Dentist!!! Oh honey, I feel for you! Never had to many problems in that area other than a cavity or two in my teenage years, by man, oh man, I have no idea what a planing is but I know I would be freaking out right now.

Holly said...

And......could you have the hygenist take pics?

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

So sorry about the teeth. That is so awful! I struggle with keeping my teeth intact as well. I have had root canals and crowns....I am sure my hubs wishes he would have checked my mouth before we were wed.

Ya the Obama/Osama thing........creepy.

Scrappy Girl said...

Ew...sorry about the dental work. My Dr. Hubby would croak if he had to have dental work like that. He is terrified of the dentist...which is amusing...lol.

I find it odd that our president's middle name is Hussein and his first name is one letter different from Osama! What's next...Jeffrey Manson for President? {serial killers}

Nicole said...

Yes but I think it is bad to put so much praise for taking down bin Laden because this isn't the end of it and I see an uproar coming soon :(

RoeH said...

I get so sick of Bush getting blamed for everything. Even Obama gave Bush some credit in his speech last night. You're right. Both administrations finally took down this despicable monster. It just took too long. Osama really should have been an abortion. But I don't want to judge or anything like that. :)

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Grrr....I hate the dentist..well..not HIM per se..just the whole pain/cost/time/ycukiness..
And I cannot believe how expensive it is even with insurance! YIKES! Good luck..there's nothing worst then having teeth/gum pain..consider yourself hugged...

Heather said...

I hate teeth. Well, I hate dealing with them. I went to the dentist last week and need 9 filling. Nine! What adult has that many cavities? My dentist described my teeth as "decay prone". Awesome. So, I feel your pain with dentists. Curse our teeth! And while I feel fortunate that I only have to pay $250 for it all (like you), it still is just one more thing. I hope your mouth starts feeling better.

Liz said...

It's so hard to find a good dentist. I'm so sorry for all the trouble! Hope it works out with minimal ouchiness.

I thought it was weird when Obama was running. I was like, we're going to have a president with a name one letter away from being a terrorist's name?

Mimi said...

HI!!
OH SO SORRY about the dental issues!!!Our daughter is a dental Hygienist so she keeps all of us in check. I tell her when I am in that chair and she has all those sharp things in my mouth, I dislike her alot!!!I raise my finger to talk or to get a little break and she ignores me!!!!I have had 3 Root Canals done...you would think with her, that would never happen, but it did!!!!
PRAISE GOD our #1 enemy is Dead. The USA and the world is a safer place now.
I give credit to the Military for it's clandestine operation(that is one of the few BIG words I know and Use!!)Have a Great week
We really need to meet face to face one of these days!!!
hugs,
jamie

Big Fat Gini said...

I think you're entitled to feel grumpy when your teeth hurt. That's some serious pain there.

The only people who deserve credit for taking out Bin Laden are the men and women who have made such giant sacrifices over the last ten years. And anyone who thinks we are safe now is a fool.

Blog Archive