Saturday, January 9, 2010

Hail to Butts and Bottoms

It's been pointed out by my good friend Bethany that my grandson Rooster has his hand in his pants in our blog photo. Yes, I see that... I also noticed that in the picture Barley, the lab, is prominently exposing her bottom. We even see an ample portion of my generously chubby posterior. Call it our signature--THE GOODINGS--celebrating the butt end of all things.

I personally think, in Rooster's defense, that he puts his hand in his pants when he's studying something. I find myself sticking my hands in my pockets when I ponder and would probably put mine on my butt too if I wore elastic waistbands and had such a cute bum as my Roost. He's such a funny kid. I love him. He's the one person in his family who "gets" me. He laughs at my jokes and gives me a sly smirk when others don't appreciate our humor. He's 4 1/2 and I treasure him. His legal name is Rick like his grandpa, but we've always called him Rooster. I intend to call him that for as long as he'll let me. I hope his mom and dad don't squelch his humor. They are both humorless, in my estimation, and are less than tolerant of our sarcasm and silliness. Their loss!

Rick and I went to a bonfire in a cow pasture last night. Fun time. There was a long-horned steer wandering through the festivities and we came home with cow manure all over our shoes, but it was charming. The field was surrounded by piles of junk and a myriad of wood piles and then orange trees went around all that. I am so much more hopeful now. Such a change from my despair the past few months.

Yesterday at Ross a young lady was nearly in tears because she couldn't find her purse. I went out and helped her search her car and we found it in a crack by the passenger door. She was so dramatic, I began to wonder if she was real. You just don't know any more if people are pulling some scam or if they really are in need. Too bad we have to be so cautious now days. I wondered if she was going to have someone hit me over the head and take my purse or something. Maybe I watch too much crime drama. Life in 2010.

2 comments:

The Cook Clan said...

Bomfire in a pasture huh? Sounds a bit like hickish Idaho. Who did you guys do that with? Good times!

Liz said...

Wow, did I ever have an Idaho flashback when I read about the bonfire. Those things make me really wistful about Twin Falls - I even like how we live in the farm-centric part of the Phoenix valley, because it often smells like Idaho does. Weird? Sure. But that's us Idahoans. :-) The bonfire sounded like fun. Sure couldn't do that in Twin in January!
Thanks for your wonderful comments of late. They've been like bright little patches of sunlight whenever I go to blog. I appreciate them more than I can say, and it's an honor to think something I write makes someone else happy. Love it. :-)

Blog Archive