Saturday, January 16, 2010

Some Blogs Make Me Feel Sicker, Doubtful, and More Than a Little Jealous





Since I've been sickly, I've spent a lot more time reading other people's blogs. Frankly, they are making me feel worse--much worse.
What is it with these people and their life styles, their families, their decor and their houses? They post pictures of their "little renovations" and "casitas" like they were minor remodels in their otherwise mundane day. They imply that we all wish to live like they do. "Here," they offer, "is a short tutorial of how you too can have these upgrades in 10 short minutes or less."
Pplleasse!! You're kidding, right!! Some of these wizards say they are in their early twenties, work as brain surgeons, volunteer 40 hours at the homeless shelter, and have 4 cherubic children and a husband who works as museum curator for the Louver. Their blog pages have more links than Google itself. I don't even know how they design those friggin' things but they will show me if I just click that blinkin' button.
I'm sorry, but I don't buy it, people. You got those pictures of your house from Architectural Digest, the shots of your blond-haired, angelic children came from Perfect Parents Magazine, and those careers are blatantly bogus. Admit it!!
Why don't you just cough it up: you have a little mold in your shower, your children have squash crusted in their hair, and your husband is unemployed and sits on the couch watching hours of Dog, the Bounty Hunter. Fess up! No body's life is that perfect.
If it is, just keep it to yourself. Don't post those nauseating pictures that I can stumble upon while I'm lying here in pain trying to ignore the sliding glass door that has dog slobber smears along a 2-ft. level right where I can see it from this unattractively scratched leather sofa which does NOT match anything else in the room.
Maybe I am a trifle jealous--IF those postings were real, which they are NOT!! Maybe I just need to work on my own life more and peek into your life less. OK! I get it. But it still makes me sicker knowing people like you could be out there...even though we all know you are fictional. You are--aren't you?

2 comments:

Jules AF said...

Oh my gosh. I feel the same way. They HAVE to be lying or something.

The Cook Clan said...

Ya know I think that if you were just an outsider looking in, reading all our blogs people would think our life was perfect and grand too. Truth is we know its not. That is something that is a little diseeving about blogs. Sorry I suck at spelling.

Blog Archive