Wednesday, August 25, 2010

So Demanding Yet So Cute

I eased out of bed at 5:30. Softly I tip-toed down the hall. Big toys are delicately placed  in the toy box to clear a path through the living room. Stealthily I head to the dishwasher, and as I turn, "Grandma, can I have muffin and milk?  Can I pet Barley? Where's Grandpa?"

Both of 'em up at 5:30 and ordering endlessly--in  duplicate.

Grandma Jo has a routine, guys. I need to watch the news and empty the dishwasher and fix Grandpa's lunch and read the paper and have breakfast and...

The twenty-something library books lie in a pile on the chair. The race car track that Grandpa worked hours putting together is abandoned in the middle of the dining room. Apparently, there's nothing to do at the moment but pester, pester, pester.

Grandtwins were delightful at the voting. We voted at an elementary school so we parked them in a library reading corner in two tiny chairs with Curious George and Arthur. Voting took two minutes and we were out of there.

Even as I attempt to type this post I'm barraged with requests and demands. Is this normal? Do children not play independently now days? I only had one, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't harranging me with orders endlessly...

I have two and 1/4 more days of this, but who's counting. They're fun to have visit, but...Grandma Jo has her routine. Grandma needs some room.

 "Grandma!" Grandma!"

9 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

Hugs! And hang in there!!

I'm sure to a certain extent they are testing you to see just exactly what they can or can't get away with. Nothing like laying down a few ground rules. Like a clock where they're sleeping and saying no getting out of this room until X o'clock in the morning!

The Cook Clan said...

Sounds like fun! Miss M. does play on her own but likes to be by me playing most of the time. Wow, 5:30 is way early! The last couple of days I've been very lucky to have M. sleep in til 9:30 or 10. So nice!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

hahahahahaa! This sound soooo like me - love 'em and leave 'em! I know you are enjoying every minute..but probably looking forward to some "quiet" minutes as well!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I've noticed that with my soon-to-be step daughter. She always always always is asking someone to be with her doing something with her. Now that we have our house and go over there a bit, she'll finally go outside by herself or go into her room and play but before, especially when Memaw is around she wants her constant attn. I never know if that's normal or not.

CB said...

I think kids have more "needs" when they are at someone else's house. They are not quite sure what to do with themselves - just a tip Jo - it is good to invest in a Wiii - It will give you countless moments of "you-time"! Ha ha Good luck!!

Herding Cats said...

Put a movie on? Or, I actually like the Wii comment as well.

life in red shoes said...

Oh hell, this was the story of my summer!!!!!!

cathycan said...

I was going to advise you to ask Red Shoes about this, but I see she already posted her comment. hehe
There but for the grace... go I!

cathycan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blog Archive