Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Because I have been given much...

I am giving a lesson in church Sunday on service. Considering the upcoming holidays that entail giving I was reminded that giving of our time and love is perhaps the greatest gift.

All of us have so much. We are blessed. This great land we live in offers us countless opportunities that others only dream of. I know I could do more. I need to give selflessly with no thought to how much I can get in return. Giving should be its own reward.

This season of giving, I'm going to try substituting tangible gifts of toys, clothes, and such for service. Volunteer in the community. Look around the neighborhood, family, school, church and world for chances to contribute time and love.

I get so wrapped up in my trivial problems and situations that I forget that I can only feel better and grow if I get outside of myself and look to others needs. I know it works. When something good happens pass it on. When something unfortunate occurs to one of us we need to pass beyond it and see who might be in need around us.

I'm thankful I was reminded of this principle at this time.

10 comments:

The Cook Clan said...

What a great reminder for all of us!!!! We truely are a blessed people!

Anonymous said...

That's an excellent reminder for all of us!

life in red shoes said...

Good lesson Jo. We ARE very fortunate.
Yesterday I met a woman whose son died serving this great country i Iraq not long ago. It was a big wake-up call:(

Herding Cats said...

Thanks for the reminder. I need to really consider this lesson as well.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

beautiful post..thanks for the reminder we all need..we are all so blessed!

cathycan said...

amen!

larainydays said...

Your gratitude brings out my own. Thanks.

Liz said...

Amen, sister. And good luck with your lesson!

Amy said...

Thank you for the reminder...it is such a great thing to do something for others.

CB said...

I really love Thanksgiving and Christmas for this reason - it reminds me to look outside at the rest of the world and to be more grateful!

Blog Archive