Monday, December 6, 2010

All Is Calm, All is Bright

Well, I am not entirely calm and you know I'm not bright, but the day is calmer and brighter because the car is FIXED! I'm so relieved. I didn't sleep much last night. I was worried it was the worst possible scenario like a major part that had to be ordered or an engine overhaul.

The people at Peoria Hyundai were waiting at 7 a.m. when Rick and I rolled in. By 8:45 I was outta there! It was some kind of throttle sensor. Because Rick is calm and bright, he knew enough to bypass the automatic transmission and shift  manually. That made it possible for him to drive without it stalling long enough to get home and to the dealership. They said some people with the same problem don't know to do that and have to have the car towed. Yikes!!

I'm thankful for my mechanical husband, warranty repairs, and a car that runs. You know how I hate it when anything breaks or is lost. I'm just a mess. My daughter said I need to "get a grip" and not be so nervous. Now, why haven't I thought of that? It's just so simple, huh. Just change my more than half-a-century psyche and become all zen and tranquil. She's young yet. She's also genetically more like her father than me, so she'd better just realize that being calm is not part of my make up. Ain't gonna happen, honey.

I went to Trader Joe's on the way home from the car fix. It's so interesting there. All kinds of healthy, earthy, and organic people and products. I never buy much at Joe's. However, my aversion to sampling completely leaves me there. The samples are superb--nutty, whole-wheat breads; exotic, dried fruits;  cheesy, herbal spreads and nutritious cookies. Today's choice was ginger snaps, thin and spicy. I had to buy a sack. I also bought those cage-free eggs, herbal tea, and bananas. I feel so wholesome. Well on my way to becoming all my daughter wants me to be. (ha,ha,ha, ha...!)

The house is clean, most of the dog slobber is washed off the sliding glass door, and I finished the Fannie Flagg book I Still Dream of You. It was good enough. Not as good as I wanted it to be, but pleasant. I feel so much better that the car is running. Thank you for understanding that getting a grip is more difficult when you are "older" and have never gotten said grip well--ever!

9 comments:

Emily of Boston said...

Ohhhh dog slobber on the sliding glass door. Hah. Something I don't miss seeing every day, now that I don't live with my dad and his dog. :)

Glad your car situation is all sorted out!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Yes, getting a grip is getting harder and harder older you get,lol.

We don't have Trader Joe's in Canada. I keep hearing about it and I so wanna go and check it out.

Scrappy Girl said...

I don't like when things are broke either. I can't wait to get my car back!

Herding Cats said...

I pretty much ONLY shop at TJ's. It's so cheap!

CB said...

I've always been high strung but seem to be calming down as I get older. I'll probably be in a coma by the time I'm 70!
I'm with you though. I don't like it when things break. My oven broke the night before Thanksgiving, we've had the repair guy out twice, they can't find the right part, yada yada yada. Oie vey!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

There is nothing worse than car problems...well, maybe stepping on raw chicken in your bare feet..but short of that..nothing is worse than car trouble!

So glas you hubbs worked his mechanical-man magic..I would NEVER had know whay to do..so be happy and be grateful and be with a car! YAY!

Liz said...

With Fannie's new book, the idea that Maggie really wanted to end her life just didn't ring true for me. I felt she didn't really want to do it, that it just wasn't real. Disappointing.

I'm not a big TJ fan myself, but I do love their reduced fat popcorn. It's delish.

life in red shoes said...

Jo, for hells sake....BREATHE!
You have a Traders? Can I come visit? I love Traders, I have driven to Vegas before to get my Traders fix!
I'll have to send you a list of things to try:)
Now....3 deep breaths...in....out.

Nicole said...

I'm glad your car is fixed too! Nothing worse!

Blog Archive