In our family certain teachers have a special place.
She was Rachel's first grade teacher. And now she's gone. We will miss you, Mary Jane.
My daughter Rach needed a firm but loving hand. She was that child that jumps up in the front row with her hand waving, sure that everyone wants to hear from her. (Gets that from her mother, I'm afraid.)
Any way, Mrs. Rupard was short, stocky, stern and subtly sweet. (Again kind of like the child's mother.)
Some didn't love her because she was brusque and no-nonsense. That was what we needed. We adored her.
She taught phonics when they were out of style. (thank heavens) She allowed each child in her class to be his/her best and didn't try to squelch that child's individuality.
Rachel stayed in contact with Mrs. Rupard through last Easter and then with the new baby and a new business, Rach hadn't written to her for a while.
When I told Rach that Mary had died she was upset that she hadn't had a chance to send her a note since Easter. . I told her I was pretty sure that Mrs. Rupard knew about Gunnar and knew that Rachel loves her. She's just the kind of lady that keeps track of her kids. She sent graduation cards, came to Rachel's wedding reception, knitted dishcloths for presents. She kept track and she cared.
I told Rach to send a note to her daughters. Tell them how much their mom meant to us. I'm sure they'd appreciate that.
Sometimes teaching is a thankless job. Even when you tell a teacher that she's important, I'm positive they never hear it enough.
If there is a special person--teacher, friend, neighbor, family member--in your life, this is the season to rekindle that connection. Remind them they are on your list of blessings.
We can never hear enough love.
If there is a Mrs. Rupard in your life, tell her how much you love her. We love you, Mary. Teach on and know you made a difference...

5 comments:
What a wonderful tribute. She should definitely write to her daughter.
I always liked those types of teachers! I'm sorry to hear of the loss! And I'm sure she knew that your daughter loved her!
Teachers..the under appreciated an the underpaid..but the most important job (along with parenthood) that God has given us!!
Hurray for Mrs. Rupard..and I'll bet she's up in Heaven, dealing out angel assignments with a firm, but loving hand :-)
This brought tears to my eyes. I can only hope to make such a difference for one of my students!
I remember her. But I can't remember where she taught. I do recall her being pretty tough...but I liked her, too. Sad to hear. But that was a wonderful tribute.
Post a Comment