Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bountiful Baskets and Frozen Trees


I am excited to show you my Bountiful Baskets purchase--all this stuff for $15. Isn't that grand! My daughter called me last week to tell me she scored big in Las Vegas at something called Bountiful Baskets. You can get all these veggies and fruits (not the same each time) and you can also order bread if you desire for another price. (I can't remember what it was.)
At 7:15 this morning in the crisp and frigid air of Arizona, I wended my way to the Surprise Community Center and saw a sea of baskets and cute little volunteers bundled up and passing out the bounty. They do this every week. The one lady said she heard about it at Weight Watchers. I can see why WW would love this service. There is probably more food there than I could every imagine. I hope I can use it all.

 My daughter said that's the down side. If you don't have a big family and eat LOTS of vegetables and fruit, it could go to waste before you get through it all. But I feel as if it was a good experiment and will probably sign up again. Though not next week. I can't eat all that fast enough and I'm going to have to figure out how to get the Rickster to relish roughage which is what he calls nutritious food like this. (His meaning is that it's probably better suited for cattle than man. He's not into healthy eating habits much.)

These amazing organizations occur every where. Even in Idaho. Who knew? If you're interested, go to www3.bountifulbaskets.org and it will show you where to go in your area. Tricky, huh!

But the bummer for this morning is that when I went out with the recycling I observed that my fruit trees--orange, lemon, and lime--have been frozen severely. It just happened in the last week. I didn't even think it had been that cold. Maybe it happened before and I just didn't notice. Whenever it occurred, I'm upset. This is not supposed to go down in the "Valley of the Sun." Crap!
My weekend has nothing exciting planned--as usual. Hope yours is productive and fun. I plan to be eating a lot of Bountiful Basket food.

8 comments:

larainydays said...

Something about having a big pile of produce makes me feel secure. Happy weekend!

life in red shoes said...

Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to check it out!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

We've done the Bountiful Baskets a few times, but it was hard to eat all the food.

I highly recommend the bread. It is really the best stuff I've ever tasted as toast.
I make bread all the time, but I can't come close to this stuff.

Liz said...

My neighbors have been putting tarps over their trees the last few days. Darn freeze!

RoeH said...

I should take part in those Farmer's Markets but I always forget about it. Mesa has one every Saturday in downtown. Fountain Hills has one every Thursday that I am for sure going back to next Thursday. The other day I had zero money but I'm going back for....if nothing else....rosemary bread. That just sounds wonderful.

Holly said...

I'm going to be checking into that. It sounds great. Our plants bit the big one last month. Seriously brown, dead plants. Yesterday we spent the day pulling some of them out and praying for the others to hold on. It is weird that your plants just got it within the past two days since it's been so nice out.

Nicole said...

Wow, thanks for the heads up... I'll have to see if they have it in my area too... prolly not though :(

Katie said...

I've heard that bountiful basket is a really good deal. I'm going to have to look into it!

Blog Archive