I've been reading a blog about a young lady who suffers from depression and anxiety (like someone else I know.) She's been on a raw food diet for the last month and claims that she's "cured." (Though she didn't word it that way. She did say she's totally depression and anxiety free for the first time since 4th grade or something like that.)
Now, I'd do almost anything not to feel the toxic blackness and anxiety that I feel daily. I guess I just don't have faith. I love me breads, potatoes, Diet Coke, cheese, cottage cheese--Well, you name it--if it's not on a raw food diet, I love it. I do eat tons of fruit and vegetables. I don't eat a lot of sugar, and I try to eat whole wheat stuff. But as I understand it, if you commit to raw 100% then you don't eat grain or dairy and I'm pretty sure Diet Coke isn't considered a raw food either. Psh! So narrow minded--these raw people.
Rick is my personal trainer. (He carries the Diet Coke and watermelon in from the car, motivates me to ride bikes and swim, and generally is proud when I do anything athletic.) Believes that these raw people might think they are being helped so, therefore, they are. You know: if you believe it will occur. Because the raw eaters have faith that their diet choices will influence their psyche, it does...
Though he's not a doctor--put the lime in the coconut--he is pretty smart about practical and basic things. However, the man has never been depressed a day in his life. He gets anxious but it manifests itself in high octane, mad crazy action for him. When he's worried he just attacks his concern head on and usually pushes through the problem. I, on the other hand, stew and muddle and stress and become paralyzed with my worries. I spin my wheels worse than Kyle Busch doing a burn out after a win. (hahah--only funny if you're a NASCAR fan, and I'm not even sure about them. But I think it's a humorous image, so just run with it for now.)
Daughter tried organic for a while to help Blakers and his problems that are a little like ADHD and autism all mixed together. She's given him raw milk and no milk and no grains and whatever the literature says. We didn't see much difference in his behavior or demeanor. And it tends to be expensive.
Especially impractical since the Rick man isn't gonna go along with this raw business. I'm lucky that he eats the vegetables and fruits that he does. Unless a rare steak, a burger, ice cream, and Cheetos are the heart of a diet, he will definitely not go there. And he's a worse Diet Coke-aholic than I am.
So, I don't really know why I'm asking you. I think I want you to tell me that any extreme is probably unnecessary. That moderation and sensible eating is probably more reasonable. That if I exercise more and get out and push through the dark times that will probably help more than any restrictive format. That I could cut back on DC and punch up the fruit and veggies and that'd probably be just as effective. Maybe that's the "sensible Jo" speaking. Maybe she hopes you'll agree with her and tell her that you don't think it's good to go cold turkey off the foods she loves. There is so little that brings me true comfort. Besides my family, pets, religion, and my home, food is just about my only love. Oh, well, there's NASCAR and reading, blogging and...but you know what I mean.
If you don't comment, I'll understand. This is kind of a loony tune post anyway. But I'll throw it out there and hope you don't leave me as a reader. Last week when all the followers disappeared from Blogland, I was sure for a long time that it was just me that was friendless. Then Holly came on with her humor and insight and I realized there was a mass psychotic-inducing episode of Follower Failure. Do you thing Blogger has an investment in Prozac or raw foods? Sneaky suckers. Ya just never know.
I'll end this with the strains of "doo doo, dum, dum" (the Twilight Zone theme??)-- Spell checker really hates that rendition of the theme song. OK, I'm closing this now. Please, HELP ME!! I need guidance, y'all. I trust your psychiatric advice. And for that I'm truly anxious.
Sunday, May 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(242)
-
▼
May
(23)
- Thank You Tuesday
- Who Am I Kidding?
- I'm Chicken--bawk, bawk...
- Second, Third, Fourth Effort
- Know It!
- Tuesday? Again?
- The "Show Me" State in Sorrow
- Fat and Lazy
- Sticky Mess
- I Thought You'd Wanna Know
- It's Tuesday ...
- Cousins
- Fishing??
- What the Heck, Blogger?
- Truth Stranger than Fiction
- It's a New Dawn; It's a New Day...
- Happy Birthday, Grand Twins
- It's Common Knowledge...
- I'll Stay in the Southland
- Just Poop Sucky
- Could He Be More Annoying?
- Totally Flat Tuesday...
- Irony Unfolds
-
▼
May
(23)
12 comments:
I have no idea.
I'm sure you would feel better if you had perfect food in your body all the time...
...if feeling better means thinking of nothing but when you get your next hit of Diet Coke....
I have tried various things before to lose weight, feel better and such, but in the end......I'm weak.
I guess all I can say is that I have no answers.
BUT, I do know, that I think you totally rock. You put it "out there" and damn the wagons.
You are amazing.
At the height of my anxiety/depression problems I would have harvested dust from the moon if I were promised it would help! I remember when I would finally experience a moment of calm, I wanted to freeze time, afraid to breathe, for fear it would vanish....which it always did.
It took several things to make a difference. 1st was a good therapist, without that the next step, meds, would have been ineffective. 3rd step was accepting this curse instead of fighting it, this was the hardest:(
I did begin to exersize and eat healthy, came to terms with the fact that I will live my life "medicated and motivated."
I don't think there is any magic bullet that works for everyone, I do hope you find yours :)
You read Busy Bee, too? She's fun. Don't worry, I feel guilty reading about the raw food stuff, too. I would love to feel freed of depression and everything...but I'm not willing to go quite that far. I think moderation in all things is generally the best policy.
What did spell check have to say about bawk, bawk? I've never suffered from depression but I've been having a few dark days myself lately. Not sure what that's all about. Mad at Brian about nothing in particular. Fortunately, he seems oblivious to that. Which makes me mad too. I know nothing about eating a healthy diet EVERY DAY, or the benefits there of. I do know that if I try to eat healthy I feel better about myself but it's not worth it for me to give up my Diet Coke. Maybe you just need to breathe in that fresh Idaho air for a little while, I'll miss you while you're gone.
Like Holly, I'm mad at 'something' and don't know what it is. The wind? I'm moody and just would love to get in a car and go someplace.
Diet? Well, I eat pretty healthy but every once in awhile you have to give your soul what it wants....mine is ice cream. Your's in Diet Coke. I don't really think that raw diets do anything for you but give you gas.
Which is yet another thing to deal with!
Perhaps your vacation is just what you needed. A change of scenery. It works for me, but since I'm stuck here for awhile, I'm hoping that YOU are feeling better and more relaxed.
Hugs
Jan
I read the same blog you're referring to. I myself do not suffer with it but am surrounded by it daily with VERY close family members that I shall not name, so I am very familiar with how hard it can be. I can't even say I know what you're going through, but I can say I know it's REAL, and very difficult.
That being said, I agree with Rick when he says that BBL believes that the raw food diet will help her, therefore, it is helping her. I agree more with the commenter that said that it needs to be a combination of things, meds, counseling, acceptance, etc. I don't know, I'm still trying to figure out a way to help my "very close family member" figure out what will work. It's a battle, and one I hope we can win!
The last few days have been very bad for me and my depression so maybe you should take what I say with a grain of salt.
First, if you do not take medication for it currently, talk to your doctor and see what he has to say. You may find something that works for you. I take Effexor which works for me in combating both the depression and anxiety. But does not make me artificially happy.
Second, if you are uncomfortable going to a therapist, remember to use your friends but only those who are worthy. Meaning those that will listen without passing judgement. Someone who will let you talk and vent.
Third, Walk. Walking helps me through just about everything. I don't do it nearly as often as I should but I always feel better afterwards.
Don't try to make drastic changes.If you don't do as well as you think you should it could make you feel worse.
Also, remember you aren't alone. Based on the previous comments there are a lot of us who deal with similar issues.
Oh and I totally understood the Kyle Busch reference. I love my NASCAR.
Wow, I've never heard of anything like that....
Jo Jo! Clinical depression and anxiety are chemical malfunctions (kinda like diabetes) that are not related to diet. So changing diet might affect a symptom, but won't cure depression.
Low dosage meds, however, do wonders. Amazing how different "normal" looks after a few weeks on a treatment plan. Family docs can prescribe. FYI. No need for a specialist. (although they help too :)
Hope you're feeling better soon.
Mom get away from that depressing stuff when you see it! Raw foods? Don't let yourself read that unrealistic stuff or be around it! Be around positive and happy things that invoke good and healthy feelings in you.
And for the record that organic stuff made me gain weight and cost me hundreds of dollars. What a joke- not for me I started drinking organic soy milk like it was water! It makes you fat if you drink too much.
Post a Comment