Saturday, May 15, 2010

Beauty is Genetically Predisposed

I went out browsing the other day. What I observed were people. And I came to this conclusion:  Beauty, attractiveness, and good looks are a result of genes. You can tell me all you want about "beauty in the eye of the beholder." "Pretty is as pretty does..." ..."skin deep"...blah blah, blah!

I'm telling you that how you look depends on the physical arrangement of basic equipment. That stuff you get from your gene pool. That's primarily it! If your nose is hooked or crooked or a wierd ski jump slope thing like mine, it's pretty hard to masque the flaws without surgery. If you have cankles or serious saddle bags, you're not hiding those without major work being done. Can you say "liposuction"?

It you have ugly moles, birthmarks, goiters, hunched back,  Flintstone feet, or mondo belly fat--you're sunk, sister. Rationalize all you want about good personalities and sweet spirits. They don't trump a rock hard body and perfect cheek bones. The basic foundation of your physical appearance matters.

Money can buy nice clothes and sweet shoes and stylish sunglasses, but money alone can't hide butt ugly.

I don't say this to be mean. I DON'T have the good genes. I'm not a looker. I'm not a troll either. I was adopted, so I have no idea what my ancestors looked like. The only other person I know who looks like me is my daughter. She's cute enough, but she had her dad's genes mixed in there to help dilute my recipe.

Those long legs, rockin' abs, and small hips did not visit my biological parentage whoever they were. They were OK intellectually, not brain surgeon or nuclear physicist smart. Just enough brains to keep me afloat in the IQ quotients.

My nationality is nothing exotic and  mysterious. I'm probably eastern European peasant stock from the sound of my birth mother's last name. Just the common folk who needed sturdy legs and a strong back to do the work for the gentile royalty. That's my heredity.

Once in a while I see two homely people who have a really cute kid. I have no explanation for that. It's an abnormality, a mutation. It's a quirk. Less often do you see two gorgeous specimen have an unfortunate looking child. Again, no explanation.

Don't even bother going through the list of plain people who did good in the world--Einstein, Bill Gates, Madam Curie, Eleanor Roosevelt That's not what I'm talking about here. I know that beauty doesn't determine happiness or philanthropy or sweetness. What I'm talking about is that if you get the right combination of genes, recessive and dominant stuff in the right equations, you end up looking better than the guy next to you who was not so programed.

It's just an observation. If you have straight teeth, just full enough lips, azure eyes, a patrician nose you got the right ingredients. What you do with the results matters too, but you have to admit that you got a leg up in the world right from the crib. You know who you are! I know who I am. I'm not bitter or jealous. I'm resigned. I did OK with what I was given. Don't give me that speech about be thankful you have feet that my mother used to quote. Not my point! My point is that pretty people are pretty and the rest of us are the rest of us.

Lola the shi tzu just tipped over the fly bait that smells like dead and rotted meat, drank up a big ol' gulp of fly bodies and rot, and the husband is calling me to clean up the mess. Later!

5 comments:

Jules AF said...

I'm pretty, and it hasn't helped me get anywhere. I still have to fight tooth and nail to do anything.
So there. hahaha

Seriously though, you're completely right.

Emily of Boston said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only person that thinks like this!

That whole "Lola tipped over mushy fly carcass junk and ate it" bit kind of makes me nauseous.

CB said...

Ha Ha I love this post because it is so true.
Most people are just average - then there are a percentage who've got it and a percentage who just...don't.
I DO think that personality can play alot into it. I have seen average people who when you meet them and they are nice and happy and fun to be around become more beautiful - Ya know! It is weird.

My kids and I were talking the other week about how often two gorgeous people will have a not so pretty child but 2 average people will often have a very pretty child.
Genetics...who knows??

Amy said...

I completly agree. Genetics are a weird thing. My sister's and I came from the same gene pool, they are thin while I struggle with weight. I think the least favorable traits from both sides of the family were lumped into me. Bad eyes, weird smile, belly fat, etc. Their is a little evil in me that likes to see beautiful people have ugly children. But then I feel sorry for the child. Will they ever feel like they are pretty enough?

Anonymous said...

Well, of course that's true, but what "beauty in the eye of the beholder" is trying to say is that beauty is how someone *perceives* it. Some people like curvy, some people like skinny. It varies from person to person.
However the only problem is that society sets a certain view of what generic beauty should be, and it embeds those ideas into children, so that they grow up thinking that way.
If you visit different societies, you will see different views of beauty. (But that's getting harder since the "Western" view is spreading to these places.)
What you think is ugly might be pretty to them, and vice versa.

Blog Archive