Remember my dental debacle a few months ago--the choice of whether or to get $5000 dollars of work done or $2000 at another dentist. Well, today I went in to have the hygienist check my teeth. I had them cleaned a couple of months ago and had all this flouride treatment and special washes to treat any bacteria.
I brush twice a day (religiously) and floss daily. I don't eat much junk food at all and drink water, etc. She said I needed to get an electirc tooth brush or whatever they're called now. I did that. I'll spin that sucker all over my teeth to the count of four turns per tooth, whatever!! But then she recommended that I have another $1200 of root planing done. (My cost would be $547.) When I'm in there and they tell me it will prevent tooth loss, etc., I think, "Ugh! But I'd better do it. Don't wanna lose those toofers." Then I come home and start thinking about it.
Lola and I went for a walk. The same walk we took where I wanted to visit with strangers, past the burned down playground. I thought about it. I just don't trust any one any more here in Arizona. I figured that $547 could do a lot--fly me to see my mom twice and rent a car while there, get a load of rock for the yard, pay my cable bill for five months...The list goes on.
So NO!! I will let my damn teeth fall out if brushing twice daily, flossing, using some undulating brush, and watching my diet doesn't help. The stress of paying these bills is causing more agitation to my teeth than any amount of tarter.
I believe that with our struggling economy it just might be possible for dental care providers to be drumming up some business to feather their own nests. It's possible! My teeth don't hurt; my gums don't bleed; I have crowns on all but one molar. I refuse to do more than that. I will have my teeth cleaned every three months which is about 3 times more than recommended, I believe. If that isn't good enough then too freakin' bad. I can't do any more. I won't!
Monday, May 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(244)
-
▼
May
(25)
- The Man Who Never Rests
- OK Visit
- Rick threw the Kong for Barley and Lola a little t...
- Ripped From the Headlines
- Versatile--Me?? OK
- Abnormal Boobage
- Sick Husband Woes
- See Green
- What did I miss?
- Blessings
- Used Underwear
- Comments Count
- Beauty is Genetically Predisposed
- Baby in My Home Town
- Brown or White?
- Special Baby in Twin Falls
- My Spawn's Critique
- Grandsons's Party
- Recent Randoms and Rooster
- One of Those...
- Lunch a la Cafe Costco
- 5th of May
- Sour Milk!
- I Just Don't Trust Any More...
- We're Back
-
▼
May
(25)
7 comments:
I feel you. I hate it when I feel like I can't trust the people taking care of me. So frustrating!
I agree. A dentist here, who we love and is a good family friend, told me I needed to get teeth filled. Without even doing x-rays cuz I was prego with Mckenna. He told me they weren't cavities yet, but were sticky. I was like heck no! I'm not letting you drill on teeth that don't need to be!
I don't really mind the dentist, but I do mind their screwing me... bleech
I would try a different dentist out. Dentist can do lots of unneeded work at their whim.
I will never forget - We had the same family dentist for years and years - he went on a service mission for 2 years doing dental work in needy countries. While he was gone he let a young dentist run his practice so he could get started.
Holy Cow on the first visit this guy wanted to do 1,000's and 1,000's of dollars of work on everyone's teeth.
We said "no" and just contined to get our teeth cleaned every six months.
When our dentist got back he never said a word about our teeth. We told him what happened and asked if we needed these things done to our teeth. He said "No" your teeth all look great. He thought maybe that other dentist was being a little too proactive.
You have to watch these guys!!
It is hard to trust people anywhere and in almost any profession. I had a dentist tell me that I needed to get my bridge re-done. Then I went to my old dentist, the one who did my bridge almost 20 years ago. He didn't remember me from way back then but he said it looked fine and asked who did it. So I saved myself some money there. The one's I hate are auto mechanics.
I know some people who swear they never had problems UNTIL they had all that "gum" work done.. hmm!
I think you should listen to your gut, AND your gums!
You have been a busy girl!
I told you my story, they must do X number of procedures to make X number of $$$.
Go visit your Mom and have your old dentist take a look.
2 birds, 1 happier stone:)
Post a Comment