Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday Musings

I think I've had that title before. I'm entitled. I'm old. Old people forget that they've done something 5 minutes after the doing. So work with me here. I'm posting a list. Like it!

1. I say it every time, but I am SO GLAD TO BE HOME. I have no where to go and nothing major to do this week. Ahh! I love being sedentary. I love boredom. I love routine and laziness.

2. The Dallas Mavericks won their first NBA Championship last night. I don't understand how anyone could want the Heat to win. The Heat?? James, Wade, Bosh--really?? You admire those people? OK, so husband and SIL and maybe a million other people wanted them to prevail. Those folks are obviously misguided. The Mavs are an old team with three of their main players over 35. And though that's not old compared to me, it's long in the tooth for basketball players. They played with heart and poise. (LaBron and Dewayne were making fun of Dirk's being sick. Not nice, fellas...) I salute you, Mavs. I don't care what anyone else says.

3. Rick and I cleaned the whole church Saturday by ourselves. Then went home, showered, and sped back to the funeral by 10:00. Now, I realize that a truly generous and modest person wouldn't expect accolades for such a mundane task. I'm NOT one of those. I want praise and lots of it. No one even knew that we were the only ones who showed up. Sure we'll get blessings. Sure it was a little thing. But I still want some "atta girls." Praise me! Praise me! (Oh, and praise Rickster too...)

4. We washed out the four big filters for our pool yesterday. Laid them out on a tarp and squirted out all the bugs, dirt, hair, and leaves. It was glorious. I love cleaning out gunk. I like emptying vacuum bags, cleaning out filters, and washing out grime. I feel so fulfilled when things are purged. I'm pretty sure this doesn't indicate that I'm weird. I'm certain...I'm sure it's healthy.

5. I have 49 followers. Most of you have many more, but this is a real milestone for me. Three years ago I had 2 or 3 followers for a year or so. Then the number increased to the teens, twenties...I felt as if I'd won the lottery. Every once in a while I go a "man down." Somebody drops out. I usually can't figure out which of my extensive readers it is, but I do notice. I am aware! So if you are among my 49 fans, I thank you! I notice and love you, whoever you are. Some bloggers say they don't care who follows them. I am NOT one of those people. I'll never be one of those "popular," beloved bloggers, but I adore my followers. I  admire your good taste and wonder often how the heck you came to read my humble mutterings. "You like me! You really like me!" (That's a quote from Sally Fields at the Oscars. Everyone made fun of her for saying that. I can't understand why they would mock Sally. I know exactly how she felt.) Please don't leave me. I'm so insecure and fragile...

6. The temps are going to soar above 100 degrees every day this week. I promise not to complain. Though my tomatoes shrivel and die, though our Labrador pants in the mister, though I can't walk outside after noon without gasping, I am glad! Yeah, summer in Arizona. It still beats freezing in the frozen tundra.

7.I watched our neighbor girl and her friends push her mom's car out of their driveway, jump in, start the car in the road, and drive away at 12:50 this morning. I have no idea what time she came home. I'm so yearning to go tell her parents, but I WON'T. I'm not that old and duddy...I think.

8. As of June 11th we've lived in Arizona 2 years now. Quite a milestone. I never dreamed two and a half years ago that any of this would occur. I'm starting to like it here. Hope that doesn't jinx anything.

9.  I must go clean my house now. It's Monday. On Monday I clean. I love my boring routine and the fact that I have no deadlines or places to be. I don't do chaos and busy and running here and there at 90mph with my hair on fire. I just can't do that, Daughter. Sorry that I can't return to the "war zone" anytime soon. I must steep like a tea bag, like a pot of stock, like white clothes in a bath of bleach. I must settle and collect myself. I am a sedentary, slow moving, solitary soul. I exit stage right! I must go muse a while.

13 comments:

Holly said...

I also have nothing to do and no where to go. Wonderful isn't it? Love the new blog look! Very festivey. Festivey, ha. Weird, my big cleaning day is Monday too but I'm not feeling it so much today. And one more thing, awesome job on the church thingy. Pat, pat.

Pat MacKenzie said...

I love your list - saw myself in so many of them (lazy, sedentary, praise needing, etc.)...even the church cleaning - something I could never enjoy. I'm really looking forward to meeting you on Thursday.

CB said...

You are so cute - I love your random musings and I am sending you lots of clapping, cat calls, a brownie button and a special award for all your service cleaning the church!! (chuckle chuckle!!).

Your new blog look is so patriotic I love it!

Emily of Boston said...

I like the new blog layout - so colorful!

I only have 16 readers... you're doing a heck of a lot better than I am. Then again, I've only been blogging for just under a year and a half. Maybe I'll get up to your level someday. :)

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Don't you just love lazy, hazy summer days? As a native Clevelander, I can tell you my ENTIRE hometown is happy that Lebron, who "took his talent to South Beach," is STILL ringless this morning!!

Hope you have a lovely, glorious, go-nowhere kind of day!!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Oh are you kidding me? Mad at YOU? How could that ever be?? I've just been rather lazy in my blog reading - especially on the week-ends..
Hubs and I are still in the "remodel, re-clean, re-do" phase and it's quite tiring..but oh no..the blog love is till going strong!! Sorry my friend..and you know what? I like you enough that if you did, I would be the first to let you know..like that's EVER going to happen..Geesh ..
XXOO

Nicole said...

You can clean my house too :)

RoeH said...

Well I'm going to Twin this week so that's my plan. Want me to bring back anything? Trout? Huckleberries? Spuds? No - if you wanted those you'd have brought them back. Last time I went I brought back a whole case of filleted trout from Swensons. I packed it in a cooler and bought dry ice we all came back together. But I think I'll pass on that this time. I'm sure I'll be staying at the plush motel we both know about.

Anonymous said...

Love it! I, too, love just being at home. Unfortunately I am at home working on all those receipts from the house during the past 10 weeks! Not fun ... brain is fried. Can I come and sit by your pool for a bit?

Liz said...

"Yeah, summer in Arizona. It still beats freezing in the frozen tundra."

You speak the truth, my friend. You do.

So what were you doing up at 12:50 a.m.?

Deborah in Atlanta said...

Here are great accolades going to you and Rick for cleaning the whole church Saturday by yourselves.

I saw the comment you left on Holly's blog "Hoosier at Heart" and came over to visit your blog.

And congratulations, you now have 50 followers! I'm following now.

Amy said...

Great job cleaning the church!!!

I completely relate to number 4. I am a grime cleaner. I will scrape, scrub, and polish until it's gone. Then I pray someone will come along so that I can share my clean masterpiece with. Weird? Yeah maybe.

I absolutely love your blog. It is one that I always look forward to reading.

mCat said...

YES!!!! Someone else who wants a shout out for being the only one that shows up to clean the church.

And really get tired of always being the 'ones'. We get called every time its our wards turn because we are just so darn reliable

Blog Archive