The good news is that all the stores they first tested had repented and no longer accepted or no longer resold the returned items. The bad news is that other stores like Walmart and Marshall's were offenders when the experiment was tried at their stores. Target and another store that I can't remember passed the test on the first try.
OK, so my first response is EEWW!! My second response is--how many more disgusting transactions take place that I don't know about? The world is a germy place and if I think about it too much I get really paranoid and OCD. I try not to be too radical. Sometimes I just throw caution to the wind and forge out in the world as if there were no offending particles out there. Other times I freak.
Here are some things I don't like to touch:
1. Escalator railing--I heard once that there was fecal matter and vaginal secretions on them. I'm not even asking how that happened.
2. Grocery cart handles--Well, I do touch them, but I wipe them off with the wet wipes. I realize it probably does little good, but I pretend it does. Don't tell me differently or my family will never eat again.
3. Salad bars and buffets--I realize you don't really touch them, but I think of all the people that do touch the food, put it back, nibble, sneeze, cough...UGH!! It's hard for me to eat out anywhere if I think about other people touching, spitting in, or worse to my food. Just don't go there in your mind or you'll starve.
4. Those levers on fountain drinks or even the spigot the soda comes out--I've seen people drink from the cup and then put it back on the lever or on the spigot. Gross!! Maybe the carbonation kills all germs. I'm sure it does. And those quick stops must clean those areas every few
5.Public restrooms--Well, this is almost a given. Did I even need to mention them? I'd rather pee in the bushes than in a rest stop. But I have an over-active bladder and I'm doomed to knowing where every restroom is within a city block of where I am. I don't sit and I do wash my hands. I can't avoid these places. I just CAN'T. But I do check out and note the cleanest among them.
6. Samples at grocery stores--I know, I have eaten lunch at Costco, but I was desperate that day! Usually I just don't like to eat anything that's been exposed to air where people breathe and touch.
7. Foot soaking basins--where you get pedicures. Why do those people wear masks? So we can't come back and identify them when we get foot fungus, that's why.
8. Wash basins at hair salons--other people lay their necks on that rim before me. Do they sanitize between each customer? I think not!
9. Tooth brushes--even my own at home. I heard that if your toothbrush is within 6 ft. of the toilet that particles fly through the air after you flush and descend on the afore-mentioned tooth cleaner.
10. Any public pool, spa or exercise equipment--Another excuse for not exercising or getting into a swim suit in public.
11. Airport security lines and the floor in dressing rooms--I must wear socks when I fly and keep my flip flops under my feet when I try on clothes.
12. Library books--If a book smells like cigarette smoke, I won't check it out. I try not to eat while reading and I try to wash my hands afterward.
Now that I list these the number is growing. I added to the list twice. I mustn't dwell on this. I'm freaking myself out. There are Diet Coke cans, door knobs, ...Somebody stop me!!
I'm sure this is not what you wanted to read first thing in the morning, but...it crossed my mind. So I just throw it out there for you to chew on. (Not literally. I know you wouldn't chew on anything that's been on the Internet. Blech!!)
17 comments:
I worked at Victoria's Secret (and Macy's, and Forever 21, and Pacific Sunwear...) for a while... and... omg. OMG. People would try returning what he affectionately referred to as "curly panties." You know... undies you rolled down your thighs that ended up curly by your ankles? Or how about panties with a snail trail in them. Or the tell-tale signs of Mother Nature having taken place? Or new moms that would try returning a bra that clearly had "mammary stains" on them. OH. MY. GOODNESS. SO many stories!!
"7. Foot soaking basins--where you get pedicures. Why do those people wear masks? So we can't come back and identify them when we get foot fungus, that's why." -- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I knew there was a reason they cover their faces... and it's not just because they're ninjas!!
And when I say "he affectionately," I mean WE. Wtf. My brain is mush.
Ugh. Just...ugh.
I try hard not to think about these things otherwise I will end up going a little crazy. I honestly had never given much thought to the shampoo basins at the salon. Whenever I go into a second hand store or wander through a yard sale I have to sanitize my hands afterwards.
I think the Mythbusters busted the myth about the toothbrushes in the bathroom but just in case I keep mine in the cabinet or a drawer. They are never out in the open.
Wow, that is seriously discusting! I can't believe that! I always wash them first anyhow, but still!
They seriously resell undies? This post gave me the heebie jeebies. hahaha!
I have worked in retail so I know firsthand that this is a problem. We NEVER took them back.
I always had a travel size can of Lysol in my purse when my girls were younger, I sprayed everything they came in contact with. Probably cut 10 years off their lives:(
Restaurants, if we knew that horrid truth we would never go out to eat again.
Toothbrushes, just stick em in the dishwasher!
Library books? Wear gloves.
Now, just look at all those comments! ;)
Ewwwww!!! I am with you... and with you on your list too!! I worked in retail selling clothes and jewelery. People will try and return anything! Stained clothes, stinky clothes, rings that are dented and scratched.... and you have to smile and take it back because the customer is always right!!
HI!!!
My daughter is a germ friek, I on the other hand am NOT AT ALL, well I guess if I really thought about it, I might be, but I try and not, as I like to go out of the house to much, funny is I clean and sanitize my house like crazy and go out and touch everything, I do wash my hands ALOT!!!!!
Be safe my friend
hugs,
jamie
Eeeeww! I am officially grossed out. I never really thought about stores reselling underwear before. Now I probably won't be able to stop thinking about it.
I am most definately a germ freak and have thought about ALL of the items on your list over the years.
You could go crazy thinking about everything that germs are on. I could probably add about 20 to your list right this second but I won't - ha ha.
I will say that once I bought a swim suit for my daughter and it had blood in it...Sick!!! It was in the young ladies department so I tried to hope it didn't have some type of deadly disease on it and I washed my hands about 22 times. SO SICK! (Oh and I did return it - don't know what they did with it.).
And I will not do library books anymore. People take books into the bathroom - again...SiCK!!!
I guess I am just blissfully ignorant
(don't say it, Jo!)but I don't think about these things too much, that's my husband's department.
He's the "clean one".
Post a Comment