Monday, June 6, 2011

So Little to Do, So Much Time to Do It

I know, it's usually the other way around.
That's the apex of my message. I'm basically, usually, constantly stressed out over having the simplest task to complete and I perpetually have plenty of time to do it.

 I thought that perhaps those of you with busy lives, a plethora of children with activities and needs, hectic work and civic responsibilities, charitable and religious duties, and no time for any of that would appreciate hearing my dilemma.

 Daughter is one of you. She drives me to drink (Diet Coke, that is.) She has three children with appointments, activities and demands. Numerous religious and community obligations swirl around her. Daily life is chaotic and crazy as she juggles rental properties, disasters, medical emergencies, and some times legal issues. There are pressures she never even tells me about. (I can't abide hearing them.)

She multi-tasks like a mad woman charging into the fray armed with a smart phone and a laser sharp memory for all numbers and dates. She can and does maneuver through rush hour traffic while doing all of the above. It's frightening at worst, mesmerizing at best. Much like witnessing a tornado rage through the heartland...

I, on the other hand, lead a simple life.  Heaven forbid the dog grooming and my haircut fall on the same day. What shall I do?

 Basically, I've become my mother.

 Mom hated it when two major events fell together--like a doctor's visit and a hair appointment the same day. Oh, glory! She was thrown for a loop. And the younger me shook her head and chuckled while watching her routinely clean on a certain day, get ready for church an hour ahead of time, and lay out her clothes and pack two days ahead of time if she ever traveled, which was rare indeed. She'd write out her grocery list, plan out all chores, and execute with precision as long as there were no flies in her ointment. If there was a glitch, poor Mom would be flummoxed. Never a multi-tasker, she never  used a cell phone, a computer, or programmed a VCR. (She's way before the DVR age.) Mom shunned spontaneous and disliked spur of the moment...

And now I am just like her. Damn! I'm a fossil. I've become that persnickety lady who has to have her wallet organized with descending currency--$20 down to $1's--all face up. If I misplace my keys or a credit card or a piece of mail, I'm frantic. I'm a mad woman if anything breaks or doesn't work properly. If I somehow forget an appointment or obligation, I'm devastated. I'm one of those old farts who plan her life out weeks in advance and eschews any variation.

I have promised Daughter I would go up to see her and the boys for a couple of days this week. It's making my palms sweaty.

I just got back from Idaho Saturday. I have a hair appointment tomorrow on the only day Lola could get in for grooming. So distressing... I need to get the oil changed in my car, but I don't see how I can do that before I go. Crisis!

As I post, I'm beyond the window structured for cleaning the kitchen. Disturbing!  I need to get my toes painted, buy groceries, pay some bills, and clean the office room today. It's overwhelming. I really must scurry off. After all, I promised Daughter I'd go up there Wednesday and I'm not even packed yet.

15 comments:

Emily of Boston said...

I also arrange my cash in descending value order, all facing the same way... then again, I was a bank teller for nine months - what's your excuse? :)

People think it's weird that I put the large bills on top... WHY? Do these people start counting with the ones first? "One... plus five is six... plus 20 is $26." NO. You start with the $20. DUH.

To take it all one step further, I fold my cash with the smaller bills on the outside. That way, if anyone sees me holding a wad of cash, they see the ones and hopefully will think I'm poor and not want to beat me up for my money. Someone once told me I was weird for thinking that way...

larainydays said...

Oh Jo, I hope you get it all done without breaking out in hives.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Hmm..the older I get..the more laid-back..and that's pretty much since I was never a "A" type personality anyway! SO, I can't really relate..but take it easy on yourself..you'll get through it just fine :-)

Holly said...

I knew it! No wonder I liked you from the get go. I lead a very simple, uneventful life. I can only schedule one thing a day. I can maybe stop at the post office if it's on my way to the grocery but that's about it. I would never schedule any thing else on a day that I have a hair appointment. That is just insane, how do people do that? The thought of it makes me sweaty and I don't care who knows it. Let me know when you have nothing on your schedule and if I don't have to water my flowers that day, I'll meet up with you.

Nicole said...

I may be a "youngan" but I don't like getting myself spread out too thin either!

AZ Larsens said...

If you saw my weekly do to list this week you'd probably freak out! :)

Anonymous said...

Your mother is my mother. Described to a "t".
But you know what, there isn't anything wrong or weird with wanting NOT to live a hectic life where you never have a moments peace.
My daughter is like yours...and she can have it. I was young once and raised a family BUT it was NEVER like it is now. Soccer, ballet, playdates, groceries, blah blah blah.
I liked my 'younger' years fine, but have passed the torch.
Now, I pretty much am boring. But apparently you and Holly are my new BFF's because we admit it.
BTW, I gave us YEARS ago organizing my shoes and underwear and money in my wallet. Too stressful. I like the thrill of the hunt.
Hope you have a great hair appt.
And trip.
And week............
Hugs
Jan

CB said...

I never fail to laugh out loud when I come visit you Jo. You described the life of a busy mom to a tee!! It is crazy!!

I think I can appreciate one day turning into somebodies mother (heaven forbid not mine - LOL)!! You know slowing down and not having too much to deal with.

Enjoy life but sometimes embrace the busy times too!

Pat MacKenzie said...

I can identify with so many of the things you mentioned - especially becomming your mother. I believe it's our god-given right to slow down, take it easy, and relax our way through our lives once we become empty nesters.

RoeH said...

Okay...take a deep breath. Put your hand around that coke can. Bring it up slowly. Take a large sip. Put head back onto couch and close your eyes.

There There.

Now doesn't that feel better?

Liz said...

I organize my cash like that, too. I think that just means you're organized.

How was Idaho?

Scrappy Girl said...

My mom is exactly the same way and I will probably be that way too. I don't deal well with a change in plans already. I called my mom in April to plan a June trip and she freaked out on me. She said that was too late to try to get plane tickets...lol

kesandrach said...

Haha Mom you are funny. I do want to be like you when I'm older. I truly can appreciate your simple life. I want to be like that a little more in my life. Look- I took up blogging didn't I? See I'm trying to be just like you! Look at all your cute bloggy friends. They are all so nice to you. That's good. Maybe you should bring down a couple when you come tomorrow. You want to come Holly? Haha

Amy said...

I am afraid my life these days would confine you to bed for a week. It has been crazy. Juggling seems easy in comparison. I long for the days when I am not spread out too thin.

Have a great time with the boys and daughter.

mCat said...

Do we have the same mom? I kinda think so.....

I used to be crazy and juggle everything and now I'm losing every dang marble I had in my head.

Pretty soon, I will have no choice but to ease it down and do one small simple thing at a time since that will be all I can handle : )

Blog Archive