Friday, June 24, 2011

Too Hot to Fish

Sweeter words were never uttered. The Rickster mopped his brow and reached for a cool drink after coming in from putting out the garbage  this morning. And then he gasped, "We're not going fishing this weekend. It's too hot!" I almost kissed his sweaty cheek.

The triple digit temps has might have made me a bit testy. Everything and everyone is just so annoying...I have to blame it on something other than my cranky, nasty personality. The lady I went visiting teaching with yesterday was so nice I just wanted to smack her. (Don't even try to figure out that one.) I want a snarky partner. Not someone who's charitable and long suffering.( Dang it's hot here!) How in the world do you get upset with a person for being too nice?

Bananas rot faster in the heat. Did you know that? I can't keep a banana green for the life of me. (Rick likes 'em greenish, you know.) So I have 5 or 6 freckled, slightly mushy bananas which husband CAN NOT gage down for anything that I need to make banana bread with. And a new bunch of 4 that I got yesterday that I'm praying will stay unblackened until tomorrow. I realize it's a ridiculous concern--how many disgusting bananas I accumulate at once--but it's my dilemma and I have to blog about something, after all.

Since we're not going out to stroke out in the sun this weekend, I'm assuming we will have to head to Cabelas or somewhere equally inane to shop for fishy lure and accessories. (I'm pretty sure it's not called "accessories" but that's irrelevant.)

"Cars 2" starts today and the grandtwins are going. I hope it's good. Reviews aren't favorable. Now, why would someone dis a "Cars" movie? It's not supposed to be a cinematic classic, critics. Ease up on Lightning and Mater, for heavens sake. Let people enjoy mindless pleasure for a minute. (Maybe it's hot where the critics live too.)

Have a good weekend. Stay cool, if possible...

16 comments:

Pat MacKenzie said...

Have you tried putting the bananas in the fridge to slow down their ripening time? I've got a great recipe for banana bread with cherries, walnuts and coconut. Great stuff. Stay cool. I'm heading back home today where the temps are in the low 70s and rainy. Sure enjoyed the heat here.

Anonymous said...

Probably too hot for the fish to even bother swimming around in that overly warm water. We haven't had cold or even cool water come from a faucet for the last week -- don't even need the hot water heater. We're even putting ice cubes in the cat's water. That's a trip ... she likes to watch them melt.

Big Fat Gini said...

I thought I was crazy thinking the bananas were going too quickly. I mean, we probably go through fifty pounds a week or something, but seriously it was making me nuts.

I hate summer. It makes everyone cranky. And by the way, my kiddo is gonna be in your neck of the woods next week!

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure that the fish in the lake are par-boiled by now. So I see the reasoning for NOT going. Smart man you married!

When bananas get too ripe here, they are thrown in the freezer to make bread. Ok, it only takes about 3 of those critters, right? So why do I have close to 20? I need to purge.

Dang...I love CARS. And agree with you. It's supposed to be funny in a corny kinda way. Not Macbeth. I'll rent it anyway because I'm certain those 'critics' are WAY over-payed and don't know squat.

Cranky? Count me in. And it's not even hot here (75). And the moon was already full. And I'm none with menopause (yee-haw). So what's the deal? When you find out, let me know.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Well you totally scored not having to go fishing.
I really can not imagine that kind of heat. I think I would like to try it for a minute though.
Do you live in the swimming pool all summer? I would.

Ya, I would want a snarky visiting teaching companion too. Sometimes I think people can be too good to be true. And I'm not even hot!

Enjoy your time at Cabelas. I've never been to one, but my friend brought me some Cabelas pretzels and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I don't even like pretzels. I'm not kidding, they were like crack.

larainydays said...

Have you seen the movie "Super 8"? I really loved it. Just a suggestion if you need a long cool nap in a cushy theater chair.

Holly said...

We're not fishing this weekend either. Trying to figure out what to do though. Brian hinted at a trip to Bass Pro Shop. I'm so thrilled with that. Jan is weird and is calling my husband Sam. It's like when you called my cat Hank. What's wrong with all my friends?

Emily of Boston said...

Gahhhh... I hate hot weather. I wish it could be spring-like all of the time, because I'm a sweaty beast, and I have a crappy attitude when it's hot. It's not just you.

Nicole said...

Wow, you know it's hot if a fisherman says that!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Mr. B went fishing one July 4..it snowed. Really. High up in the Uinta mountains in Utah..I stayed in the car and read..
I know about hot..and I hate it oo. I don't like to break a sweat..and in Arizona, breathing in summer makes you sweat!
Yes, it would have been so much more enjoyable to have had her say.."Hell, it's HOT and I'm PO'd.."

heehee

My Grama's Soul said...

Hi Jo....just found you at Main Street Memories after jumping from All my Yesterdays. I'm a fellow AZ blogger and am so happy to meet you. Sounds like you are somewhat adjusting to summer in AZ although I don't know if anyone EVER adjusts. We try to get out of there in the summer and so some traveling...which we are ding now.

Will be back to AZ in the fall though...so I'll be able to get to know you better through blogging for now.

Jo

My Grama's Soul said...

Hi Jo....just found you at Main Street Memories after jumping from All my Yesterdays. I'm a fellow AZ blogger and am so happy to meet you. Sounds like you are somewhat adjusting to summer in AZ although I don't know if anyone EVER adjusts. We try to get out of there in the summer and so some traveling...which we are ding now.

Will be back to AZ in the fall though...so I'll be able to get to know you better through blogging for now.

Jo

Donna Tagliaferri said...

yesterday was our first really hot day and we all lost our minds....everyone just flipped out. And now it is hot and the wind is blowing...thanks for coming by my blog.....great to see yours.
Stay inside, I have to do a wedding for 300 tomorrow. Pray for us!!

Liz said...

Cars 2 was okay. Just okay. Hope the grandtwins like it.

life in red shoes said...

Guess what? If you put those green bananas in the fridge it slows them down!They might darken a bit, but still taste great:)

P.S. Wouldn't we make a great V.T. team :)

mCat said...

I feel the same about bananas. Usually I can eat one the day we buy them and then any time after that - they are ick.

And Cars 2 was okay. Not the best, but okay. It's Pixar and I will support Pixar every single time unless/until Ed leaves

Blog Archive